Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to use linux kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I like to load the Linux kernel on my old computer and execute my programs using that kernel.
is it possible. if it is possible how?

Why your programs depend on the kernel ?

because they need vga,USB,Ethernet,sound card,graphic cards etc.

bro, install any of the distribution and recompile the kernel..or you may use cygwin,, it offers this too...

thank you beyondH. but I need some instructions. or tutorial on how to do that. I googled. but I cant find any.

can you be a bit more specific about the use...i mean,, are your applications are kernel specific??? which kind of applications are these?
have you tried to make them run on newer kernels like that of 2.6 or 3.0??

I run those programs in Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.

I don't what to start any Linux distributions like ubuntu or redhat etc on that computer. that means it should be simply like OS with Linux kernel with out graphics and it should run my programs on startup.

Last edited:

yeah bro, I think you are asking about the old movies like situation like as if in Wargames 1 and 2, Hackers etc..(lolzz..m sometyms funny)....
the point is that at that time basic "Unix" kernel was easily available on the internet which is not the case now...distributions are more easily available..
You may install any of the distributions of "Linux",(whichever is lightest,,considering your old pc) and may know some facts::

1.you can startup any distribution without gui(for always)..dont install the X server...
2.Even if you installed,, just change the runlevel of your distribution i.e. run it in run level 3(it is for text mode only..no gui..)

there are some runlevels already defined ::

you may give this pdf a try::(nicely written there)
https://www.hentzenwerke.com/wp/fromgui_totext.pdf

hope it helps::

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 ----------

@yura717
some of the programs which were made previously depended on kernel now because at that time they were made using the system calls that were defined within initial kernel versions..but there after 2.X kernel (dont exactly remember),, systems calls are updated heavily i.e. their name changed as it happens in every major release and may vary from kernel to kernel...

hope it helped you to understand..

Reactions: yura717

yura717

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I run those programs in Ubuntu with Linux 2.6.

I don't what to start any Linux distributions like ubuntu or redhat etc on that computer. that means it should be simply like OS with Linux kernel with out graphics and it should run my programs on startup.
You can boot specific Kernel by GRUB if your boot menu is hidden then
If you would like Ubuntu to be the default but still have easier access to the boot menu, follows these instructions to make the menu visible:

Startup Ubuntu as usual
Press Alt-F2 (i.e., depress 'Alt' and, without releasing it, press 'F2') for a 'Run Application' dialogue box
Type 'gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst' (without the quotation marks)
When prompted, enter your password. See "Ubuntu Root Access" if you have trouble at this point. You will then be presented with a GEdit window in which the configuration file for grub is reflected.
Around the 23rd line of the file, you will see the word "hiddenmenu" on a line by itself.
I guess you want something like embedded Linux solution ? Without GUI ?

Sure Debian Linux has x86 port . you know .... Ubuntu based on Debian Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back