Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use LEDs in Place of 7 Segment Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

narindia16

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do i make a huge 7 segment display

I Got a clock circuit. It is for 6 seven segment display. I want to make a big clock. Is it possible that after testing this small clock.....i replace the 7 segment display with Bigger board of LEDs, soldered in the shape of 7 segments. If yes what changes i have to do with in the circuits. I am attaching the circuit along with this Problem.

how to make large 7 segment led display

Dear narindia16 why don't you use larger 7 segment displays? I think it will be more neat to use 7 segment displays.
check google to find the size that suits you.
If you still want to use leds give me the max size of the number that you want.

Check this a big led 7 segment
**broken link removed**

Thank only by the Helped me button

where would you use l.e.d.s

There are lots of very large 7 segments displays on the market. The only problem is that the big ones have 2 to 4 leds connected in series for each segment. This means you´ll need a higher voltage to drive them. If you´re constructing your own digits, a simple solution is to use 1 led per segment or to connect 2 or 3 leds per segment in parallel (one limiting resistor for each led).
Regards

make a big 7 segment display

narindia16 said:
I Got a clock circuit. It is for 6 seven segment display. I want to make a big clock. Is it possible that after testing this small clock.....i replace the 7 segment display with Bigger board of LEDs, soldered in the shape of 7 segments. If yes what changes i have to do with in the circuits. I am attaching the circuit along with this Problem.

it is possible to make bigger 7 seg display using leds..i actually prefer to use a larger 7 seg display than to improvise using parallel leds..if your going to use a number of leds to create a larger digit this means it will consumed much current..however if your going to use bigger 7seg display this will require higher voltage..so its up to you if your going for leds or bigger 7seg..practically speaking bigger 7seg displays are much expensive compared to using leds..goodluck!

atmega 7 segment pnp

74hc244 is not capable of driving led's, use pnp transistor to drive the led's.

Nandhu

driving 4 segment displays with a pic

Thanks a lot for your suggesstions........i think using a bigger Segment will be a better idea..... what changes i need to make in the circuit??? as you told that i will be requiring more voltage........

how to use the 7 segment display?

narindia16 said:
Thanks a lot for your suggesstions........i think using a bigger Segment will be a better idea..... what changes i need to make in the circuit??? as you told that i will be requiring more voltage........

You can use pnp transistor for higher voltage driving

Nandhu

seven segment display with leds schematic

Hi this is senthil.

From your schematic, you are using common cathode display.

you can use any LED for display.

you should know the led operating voltage.

this operating voltage should given as driving voltage of below circuit.

9_1252126493.jpg

you should provide seperate drivers for each LED.

can contact at rashdriver@in.com
Enjoy with your clock.

bye.

7 segment display driver

It is not a good idea to connect load to NPN transistor as senthil showed. It will unnecessary dissipate power through 470Ω resistor which will increase the power-supply's current requirements. Also there is no limit on current that will flow through LED.
Use combination of NPN and PNP as shown. You need 7/8 such driver circuits for each segment. You need to change value of R1 (470E) depending on supply voltage V+ and segment's current requirements.
You can get rid of transistors connected to common-cathode (T3/T4) and connect it directly to UN2803 driver which is already used in your design.

Edit: Forgot to put base resistor for BC557. Corrected it.

large 7 segment

u can construct a big 7 seg disp using LEDs,
connect them in the shape of 7 seg disp.
u don't need to change the programming.
just connect vcc of all leds in a segment together and take out single connection.
thus u will have 8 connection. This will be same as a normal 7 seg disp.

Let me know if you need any more help

7 segment led clock display

Hi,

Iam sorry for missing the current limiting resistor series wth the LED.

But mine is not going to consume more power.

just analyse the picture and conclude which one is better for your application.

Chip select is common for both. just iam consider about driver.

Signal power dissipation:915.2uw

Source power dissipation:375.7mw

Signal power dissipation:31.2uw

Source power dissipation:14.98mw

Kindly correct me if my thought is wrong.

Senthil

7 segment display clock

BC557 is connected in wrong way in your simulation schematic.
Power dissipation in BC547 is high because I forgot to connect base resistor for BC557. Connect 4k7 resistor to base and see how it goes.
For better understanding you should also see voltage across transistors and LEDs to see if they are fully turned on.

This disadvantage of your circuit is that if you have more than 1 LED to drive, the base-emitter voltage (Vbe) required to turn-on the transistor will be much higher and if it exceeds 5V, microcontroller will not be able to turn it on. In my circuit, Vbe is fixed and you can drive any number of LEDs.

how to use the seven segment display

Sorry for this post.
One question.

If we avoid using transistor from the above circuit diagrams what will happen?
Why do we need transistor?

7 segment display large

Microcontrollers are not capable of driving high voltage / high current loads. So to drive bigger loads you use transistor. You cannot get rid of it.

driving 7 segment displays

Hi,

I got your point.

If the driving current requirement is more then we are going to use darlington. Otherwise simple NPN/PNP low power transistor driver.

The revised diagrams are below.

But i think that FET is the proper choice for driving such a loads from microcontroller signal.

Your guidence are always welcome.

Bye.

led on pnp transistor

You still forgot the base resistor for BC557. See my modified schematic above.

Yes MOSFETs are good for such applications.

atmega connect big led digits

Now its updated.

Yes now the power dissipation improved.
Fine.

Bye.

how to use seven segment

senthilkumar.b said:
Now its updated.

Yes now the power dissipation improved.
Fine.

Bye.
Hello,
What's the purpose of this circuit?
What are trying to do with this circuit?
How did you calculate the power level?(Watts)

The purpose is to drive high current loads. Large 7-segments displays require higher driving voltage and current so you need such driving circuit.

CMOS said:
The purpose is to drive high current loads. Large 7-segments displays require higher driving voltage and current so you need such driving circuit.
In the circuit above is it 963.8uW at 2.5Vdc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back