Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to use a phase lock loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre2030

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
-can u show me how to use a phase lock loop?can u tell me how the pin to be connected?i am using hcf4046B phase lock loop.i
-this PLL will be using with pic16f877a

thank u

For what purpose will you use a 4046 with th 16F877 ?

A phase locked loop is used to synthesize frequency, i.e. multiply frequency. Some PICs have an internal PLL to multiply the frequency of a crystal to be used as a main clock. If it is the case, the 4046 has a maximum operating frequency output of 1MHz @ Vdd = 5V, which is too low for the PIC clock (you can use a 20MHz crystal directly).

If it is not the case and you just try to multiply the frequency of a signal from PIC, just connect the signal to pin 14 (signal in) of 4046, choose pin 2 or 13 for phase comparator, you should calculate a RC low pass filter (to pin 9), choose some componentes to VCO (Capacitors and resistors), use a frequency divider counter (between pins 3 and 4). Better take a look at the 4046 datasheet (search at Philips site).

Status
Not open for further replies.