Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to unsolder component from TV inverter board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratob

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to replace a part from my Westinghouse TV inverter board but I do not see the solder points at the back of the board. The board on the back side is simply smooth green. Nothing protrudes out of it. How do I unsolder the bad component and solder the replacement? Do I just do it from the front side of the board? What kind of board is this?

Thanks,
ratob

If the solder connections/contacts are at the front side, remove them from the front side. The components used are SMD. They are surface-mount devices. The technology is called surface-mount technology (SMT).

Check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology
Check out some images: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...A&biw=1440&bih=728&sei=fbyxUK2aBovtrQeb54H4BQ

Here's an interesting image from the wikipedia link above:
220px-Soldering_a_0805.jpg

Caption: Removal of surface-mount device using soldering tweezers

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

I am trying to replace a part from my Westinghouse TV inverter board but I do not see the solder points at the back of the board. The board on the back side is simply smooth green. Nothing protrudes out of it. How do I unsolder the bad component and solder the replacement? Do I just do it from the front side of the board? What kind of board is this?

Thanks,
ratob

Yes, Tahmid is a right, probably is SMD. You can use standard soldering iron station for small parts, such as capacitors, resistors, ... and for bigger parts, such as TQFP IC, SO IC, parts with many pins, many pins connectors,... you can se hot air rework station, Also try to dessolder with usage of flux.

Depending on the part, you might be safer cutting the old part off - i.e. cut each of its legs with wire cutters. Then desolder each of the bits left on the pads.

If you try to heat and pull an 8 pin IC without the correct equipment you will probably pull the PCB tracks off as well.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.