Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Uninstall RHEL from a dual boot system with WinXP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara007

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys ..

I have both WinXP and CentOS 3.5 on my laptop .. and I want to uninstall CentOS 3.5 in order to replace it with CentOS 4.2 .. and I'm afraid of missing up with Grub so as I may not be able to boot in any system .. so, how to safely uninstall CentOS 3.5 without affecting the WinXP partition and boot ?

Re: How to Uninstall RHEL from a dual boot system with WinXP

omara007 said:
Hi guys ..

I have both WinXP and CentOS 3.5 on my laptop .. and I want to uninstall CentOS 3.5 in order to replace it with CentOS 4.2 .. and I'm afraid of missing up with Grub so as I may not be able to boot in any system .. so, how to safely uninstall CentOS 3.5 without affecting the WinXP partition and boot ?

Hello there,

I never worked with CentOS, but since it seems to be some sort of "linux", just do the following:
boot with the install cd/dvd for the new CentOS, choose the partitions you want to install on, format if needed and then continue with the install. It's almost easy. If everything is done propper, you wont have any problem accessing your laptop or booting any OS you have.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

omara007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I was thinking of that but I was afraid to do it unless someone emphasises :)
but, will the Grub be updated by the new operating system that easy ? and will delete the older linux entry !

omara007 said:
I was thinking of that but I was afraid to do it unless someone emphasises :)
but, will the Grub be updated by the new operating system that easy ? and will delete the older linux entry !

The grub will be modified accordingly!
If you choose to format, yes, the old one will be deleted.

Hope it helps!

1. formatted MBR... boot with dos or win 98 disk (use fdisk command)
a:\> fdisk /mbr
2. Install linux.

enjoy

ghbolivar said:
1. formatted MBR... boot with dos or win 98 disk (use fdisk command)
a:\> fdisk /mbr
2. Install linux.

enjoy

Unfortunatly I don't have a floppy drive in my laptop .. and I don't either have and previous windows bootable CDs ..

use Hirent' bootCD (partition magic on dos (fdisk command))

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.