Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to turn off power supply with a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuddy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an IC on PCB board. I'll need to put a switch to turn off the +5V power to the IC from time to time. However, I only have "normally-off" switch in hand. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks.

You'll need some additional circuitry. Something to "invert" your normally=off switch. So when your switch is OFF, the circuit (power to IC) is ON, and vice-versa. A simple BJT/ FET/ MOSFET/ Relay comes to mind. Take our pick & work it out.

cheers!
:)

Dear ebuddy
Hi
It depends on how much is your required current through switch and how much should be the frequency of turning off and turning on .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

To use a single switch he may use the bistable flip-flop which can be toggled between states with a single push button.

toggle.gif

See some details here:
http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page9.htm
**broken link removed**

By the other hand we can change the relay by a P channel MOSFET. :grin:

Attachments

• Toggle 2.png
    Toggle 2.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 82

Dear ebuddy
Hi
It depends on how much is your required current through switch and how much should be the frequency of turning off and turning on .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

The current is several mA, and frequency of switch is very slow (manual switch). Thanks.

To use a single switch he may use the bistable flip-flop which can be toggled between states with a single push button.

toggle.gif

See some details here:
http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page9.htm
**broken link removed**

By the other hand we can change the relay by a P channel MOSFET. :grin:

Nice overkill mister_rf ... LoL !! :p

Here's a simpler one. Just chose a relay which works with 5v or whatever your Vcc is.
78_1340858073.jpg

You don’ t get it… I understand there's push-to-make switch available, that returns to its normally open (off) position when you release the button, so using that diagram you may keep a closed circuit after pressing the button and disconnect the load for a second push, and that's similar to a toggle switch. :roll:

I'm not quite sure the question asker wants a 'toggle' switch. Does he ? He just wants to disconnect an IC's power when he presses a switch.
The principle used here is know as the "KISS".

Maybe you've heard/ read of it ?

cheers!
:)

The current is several mA, and frequency of switch is very slow (manual switch). Thanks.
Hi again
You can use a simple opto coupler for this aim . or a simple BJT . in series with ground path .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I have an IC on PCB board. I'll need to put a switch to turn off the +5V power to the IC from time to time. However, I only have "normally-off" switch in hand. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks.

Buy. Buy one switch as per your requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

ebuddy,
Learn and get idea from all the posts. Also consider time and money required to make changes to your normally off switch.
Consider feasibility for your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back