Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to transmit data from RS-232 interface circuit to a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
RS-232

Excuse me,I want to transmit data from my RS-232 interface circuit to the computer. Can i just used the TD pin and the GROUND pin?? Will the computer receive the data??

Part from this, my RS-232 interface cirucit is using a female connector and my computer is also using a female connect. Hence, to create the serial cable, can i have both ends with the male connector on it?? If can, how to i connect the RD pin and TD pin for both ends of the serial cable?? I'm really confusing bout which pin connect to which pin for both male connector, please HELP me out!!! Thanks...

Re: RS-232

Hi,

Yes, the computer will receive your data, but you need to disable all handshake method (xon/xoff and RTS/CTS) on the computer.

If it is for home use and if you board is also designed, you can build the cable you want as far as the pinout is the right one and is in accordance of the functionnality of each pin (RD/TD). TD pin of the computer must be connected to RD pin of your board, RD pin of the computer must be connected to TD pin of your board and GND of both ends must be connected together.

If it is for industrial use and if you board is currently under design, it is better to be in accordance with standard pinouts and draw your board pinout in accordance with the standard. It is easy to find standard cables anywhere. If your board is build, so you can do as describded above (home use) and buils your specific cable.

Be also carefull of the length of your cable, which must not exceed 15 meters.

Here is a good link for standards RS 232 cable drawing :

h**p://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html#pins

I am actually wondering how your PC can have Female RS232 jack?

Is your PC a Tranny ;P

PC with female RS232 connector?????????????????
Dear gg,
I don't think its in dat way....
Have a look at ur connector properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.