Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW TO TRANSFER PICTURE FROM DIGITAL CAMERA INTO THE ATMEGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzaini

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
atmega camera

i want to transmit the picture from the camera(as a input of atmega8535-port d>>at the Tx node to the Rx node and display the pic at pc.

so i wonder how to connect the camera to the atmega8535..
can i use the USB port? n how?

atmega webcam

yes, usually digital camera connet to PC by USB port.
and it seen as removable drive, on PC.
pictures on d-camera save as files, and camera file system is look like PCs file system.
you need to do 2 task :

1- make USB interface for MEGA u-controller and its firmware
2- write program to browse file system of d-camera.

I think if you search the web, you can find some document about any 2 items which mentiond above.

regards,
davood.

webcam atmega

You have to implement USB host (I recommend you SL811HS from cypress).
Read application notes from cypress.

Anyway the other solution is an OTG IC (it's used to link 2 usb slave). Do a google search on USB OTG,

Hope this helps,
//a

digital camera avr

but ths only small part of my project. can i connect the usb socket directly to the u-controller?

camera atmega

Yes it is possible if you use a micro with usb host or usb otg inside...
...somthing similar to LPC2xxx...

//a

usb webcam avr

Hi
Try ISP1583 from PHILIPS. It has the USB OTG capbility.

You have to access the USB camera through a USB host capable device. ISP1583 can act as both host and client. So may write firmware to use OTG and FAT32 filesystem of camera.

driving usb port+atmega128

Really it will be too hard to make a usb host in atmega and find and implement webcam control protocol Protocol mostlyis not pulished by manufactorer , so you have to dig linux driver or references to them for specific webcam or better for specific camera controller chip inside webcam. Theoretically it is possible but practically is not feasible . There are a lot of projects for direct camera sensor connection to avr using parallel interface - that sounds better and you can leave pic psotprocessing to PC and send data by uart or usb (see application note from atmel). Note that camera resolution is limited by avr processing capability. To have higher resolution - you can use cpld or glue logic based frame grabber which stores one or more frame in ram at clock high rate, then slow fetch by avr fromsram later.

Search this forum - there should be links to projects .

usb webcam atmega

When a camera provide a USB interface it will be through one of the well defined USB device classes. All these class specifications are freely available from **broken link removed**. And most of the cameras provide a USB Mass Storage Class interface. ie: the camera will be acting like a storage device with FAT32 (or some other FS) filesystem on it. So all we have to do is to implement a USB Mass Storage Class device interface and some way to browse through the FS (FAT32) in firmware.

But if its a video camera then the interface can be MSC or Video Device Class.

Also its possible to implement the still camera using Still Imaging Class.

But all these classe drivers are already implemented as standard interfaces in most of the OSs like Windows & LINUX. So thats why when ever you plugin your flash drive or USB HDD on to computer we are able to access it as a usual disk drive. None of these drivers has to be coded again.

artem said:
Really it will be too hard to make a usb host in atmega and find and implement webcam control protocol Protocol mostlyis not pulished by manufactorer , so you have to dig linux driver or references to them for specific webcam or better for specific camera controller chip inside webcam. Theoretically it is possible but practically is not feasible . There are a lot of projects for direct camera sensor connection to avr using parallel interface - that sounds better and you can leave pic psotprocessing to PC and send data by uart or usb (see application note from atmel). Note that camera resolution is limited by avr processing capability. To have higher resolution - you can use cpld or glue logic based frame grabber which stores one or more frame in ram at clock high rate, then slow fetch by avr fromsram later.

Last edited by a moderator:

webcam control with atemega

louisnells said:
When a camera provide a USB interface it will be through one of the well defined USB device classes. All these class specifications are freely available from **broken link removed**. And most of the cameras provide a USB Mass Storage Class interface. ie: the camera will be acting like a storage device with FAT32 (or some other FS) filesystem on it. So all we have to do is to implement a USB Mass Storage Class device interface and some way to browse through the FS (FAT32) in firmware.

But if its a video camera then the interface can be MSC or Video Device Class.

Also its possible to implement the still camera using Still Imaging Class.

But all these classe drivers are already implemented as standard interfaces in most of the OSs like Windows & LINUX. So thats why when ever you plugin your flash drive or USB HDD on to computer we are able to access it as a usual disk drive. None of these drivers has to be coded again.

artem said:
Really it will be too hard to make a usb host in atmega and find and implement webcam control protocol Protocol mostlyis not pulished by manufactorer , so you have to dig linux driver or references to them for specific webcam or better for specific camera controller chip inside webcam. Theoretically it is possible but practically is not feasible . There are a lot of projects for direct camera sensor connection to avr using parallel interface - that sounds better and you can leave pic psotprocessing to PC and send data by uart or usb (see application note from atmel). Note that camera resolution is limited by avr processing capability. To have higher resolution - you can use cpld or glue logic based frame grabber which stores one or more frame in ram at clock high rate, then slow fetch by avr from sram later.

I was talking about frame grabbing from webcam. Are you about stil picture cams ?

usb webcam atmega32

Its applied to both the still camera and the video streaming application. If its a still camera or a camera which does't provide realtime transfer of data from it will usually use USB MSC. ie: picture files and video file will be copied from the camera by connecting it to PC through USB and will be coped as its a HDD.

But in the case of Video Streaming camera the data will be transfered in realtime. ie: we can watch the video from computer. For example the survilliance cam. In that case there is a Video Device Class used.

Refer the attachment.

I was talking about frame grabbing from webcam. Are you about stil picture cams ?

avr vga camera chip

So what i am talking about - it is not trivial task to catch
video frame by avr .
Once i tried to do it for creative and can not find video encoding format supplied by Omnivision for their chip OV511.

Did you complete that application (frame capturing with micreeocontroller from webcam) for avr capabilities alike microcontroller and how successful was it ?

atmega8 camera interface

isn't ruzaini talking about displaying it in PC ?. Why can't he just passthrough ?.

Decoding video frame is always a difficult task. But the frame format should have a standard encoding.

What is this µC doing between PC and Camera ?

atmel interfacing digital camera usb

louisnells said:
But the frame format should have a standard encoding.

According to that data sheet it is not always :
**broken link removed**
"Supports proprietary real-time compression engine of up to 8:1 (10~15fps at VGA)"

i guess this should be handled by driver . But this is not a rule. There are others supporting known formats .

hi i am kunal i want to work on video transmission project, i want to use my mobile camere how i connect this camera to microcontroller. what is the other requirement should i use. suggest me connection

hi, i am currently doing surveillance project. i am given choice to do the project using wired webcam or 4d ucam . i need to transferred the video to the computer by wireless transmission. and i choose xbee to be the wireless module. but i dono how to interrelate or connection or the specific board i need to connect the webcam or ucam to the xbee and transferred to the computer. can anyone help on this . thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back