Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to transfer a image file to FPGA using USB chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangthanhtung

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a FPGA KIT which has a USB inteface by using SL811HS chip(Cypress Corp.). Now I want to write a C/C++ program to read a image file which is located in PC, and tranfer data to FPGA KIT, by using USB port. After that I use FPGA to process data of image and send image return to PC for displaying.

Could anyone let me know some thing ? I need some API function to access USB port to read/write data ? Or you can send the link and document to me. I need it hurry.

Contact with me: httung@asic.korea.ac.kr

Thank you so much.
Best regards

...first of all, does your kit come with a library to access the USB ?
(if the answer is "NO" I think you should claim for cash refund... :) )

As far as I know, the API functions are only suitable for low-speed HID devices (keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc) and I guess you're talking about transferring video at real-time, so check the Cypress website for drivers and development tools for your USB chip.

Regnum said:
...first of all, doesn't your kit come with a library to access the USB ?
(if the answer is "NO" I think you should claim for cash refund... :) )

As far as I know, the API functions are only suitable for low-speed HID devices (keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc) and I guess you're talking about transferring video at real-time, so check the Cypress website for drivers and development tools for your USB chip.

My SoC board can support USB interface. It is Exxalibur EPXA10K Embedded system of Altera. It has USB interface (EBI interface). USB IC - SLH811 of Cypress can transfer data with full-speed 12Mbps and I only receiver data from webcam which is like as keyboard, joystich (slower speed). If you know about API funtion for USB interface, let me know please. Thank so much.

...in low-speed mode, the fastest guaranteed delivery for a single transfer is 8 bytes in 10 milliseconds, equivalent to 800 bytes per second, what isn't enough for a webcam at all !!!

what's the throughput you need... ?

Is there a dedicated microcontroller connected to the USB chip and the FPGA configuration pins?

The SL811 can't talk directly to the FPGA since it is a periphal device which needs to be programmed for either USB host or USB device first..

davorin said:
Is there a dedicated microcontroller connected to the USB chip and the FPGA configuration pins?

The SL811 can't talk directly to the FPGA since it is a periphal device which needs to be programmed for either USB host or USB device first..

I see what you mean. I believe that my Alteral chip has been connected with SLH811 and SLH811 has been setup in the Host or Slave mode( My board has two USB port). What I need is how to receiver data from web cam by using FPGA and USB chip. That is all.

have a look over here:
http://www.alanmacek.com/usb/deviceAPI.html

Additionally, you'll get in-depth info at the following books:

USB Complete

USB Design By Example

Developing USB PC Peripherals

Frankly, I believe you'll end up writing a high-speed Device-Driver...
Anyways, good luck.

There are USB to LPT convertors. For the rest look at the Xilinx paralel port programer schematic for FPGA and CPLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back