Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test XC9572 CPLD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRFGUY

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I test my cpld XC9572 is working all functions.

Is there any program or any method to test this.

Pls let me know, I need to test my cpld.

Thanks

How to test CPLD

If you want to test the hardware you need a logic analyzer or something. You can test the RTL in something like ModelSim or Active HDL.

Re: How to test CPLD

hi

I think you cann't test the induvidual CPLD without any test kit. What type of package do you have? FBGA or SOP.

If it is SOP, then you can test by replacing the similar CPLD in the available xilinx starter kit(if you have).

Regards,
Vishwa

I don't have any kits.

I just received a board with jtec downloadable cable from my friend. But I can use this to download and test the program.

But during one of my experiment, I did something wrong (I think), some ports doesn't work for shift reg. but these ports are ok for combinational circuits input or output.

That's why I just want to know how to test all cpld function.

How to test CPLD

Hi, MRFGUY, can you tell me detail: how to use JTEG to test CPLD?

wjx197733 said:
Hi, MRFGUY, can you tell me detail: how to use JTEG to test CPLD?

Sorry, I just mean that I can download the program to cpld by using jtec cable.

How to test CPLD

Well, for one thing it's "JTAG", not "jteg" or "jtec".
If you have a CPLD board and want to test it, you need to prope the pins on the chip or board. What board are you using?
If you don't have any extra hardware to do that, you can verify your design in something like ModelSim, which is free.

Added after 1 minutes:

You might be able to test it using the JTAG caple and some the CPLD vendors software. What software are you using?

How to test CPLD

CPLD is too complex to fully test yourself. The manufacturer uses an elaborate test fixture and test procedure.

JTAG allows you to configure the device, or read/write the state of individual pins. It would be pretty difficult to diagnose a chip malfunction that way, except for dead I/O pads. It may be easier to configure a counter or shift register that wiggles all the pins to make sure all the I/O pads are alive.

If possible, just try another chip.

If you can download program to it,you can use small program whitch you can be sure be right to test . if all the pin can work , the chip is ok

Please, stusy carefully next info about STAPL language.
You can use it for testing and even whole board through JTAG. Also, you can include a bitstream into JAM file to programm your device. I believe that will be useful for you.

Embedded Programming With Jam STAPL http://www.altera.com/support/devices/tools/jam/embedded/tls-jam-embedded.html

Jam Programming & Test Language Specification http://www.altera.com/literature/jam/jamspec1_1.pdf

JAM software is here: http://www.altera.com/support/software/download/programming/jam/jam-index.jsp

AN 122: Using Jam STAPL for ISP & ICR via an Embedded Processor**broken link removed**

xuruquan said:
If you can download program to it,you can use small program whitch you can be sure be right to test . if all the pin can work , the chip is ok

Logically it seem like that, actually when I test by using simple gates (like or, and )the ports are working properly. But when I used like shift reg or FF there is no response at that port. When I switch to new cpld it work (that means my program is ok.)

YUV said:
Please, stusy carefully next info about STAPL language.
You can use it for testing and even whole board through JTAG. Also, you can include a bitstream into JAM file to programm your device. I believe that will be useful for you.

Embedded Programming With Jam STAPL h**p://www.@ltera.com/support/devices/tools/jam/embedded/tls-jam-embedded.html

Jam Programming & Test Language Specification h**p://www.@ltera.com/literature/jam/jamspec1_1.pdf

JAM software is here: http://www.@ltera.com/support/software/download/programming/jam/jam-index.jsp

AN 122: Using Jam STAPL for ISP & ICR via an Embedded Processorh**p://www.@ltera.com/literature/an/an122.pdf
Is thsi Altera only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back