Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test the input offset voltage of a OP Amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZengLei

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I try to figure out some ways to get the input offset voltage of a OP Amp,so i search it in the internet,finally i found one as the pic below.

here:in the pic

Vos=input offset voltage
Ios= input offset current
Ib= input bias current

Then there is a formula in the right side of the pic,
But i think this formula is totally wrong~!
becasue it didn't take the Ios into consideration!
i think the Vout is not just made by the Vos,the Ios has very great contribution to the Vout,but the formula ignore the effect of the Ios to the Vout.~~~~~

So pls give me some advices about how to get the Vos of a OP correctly,and how to build a correct circuit to test the Vos of a OP Amp.

Thanks~~~~~~~~~~

In my opinion, the Ios contribution is negligible since the source resistors are 10[Ohm]. Ex AD8615: Ib and Ios < 600[pA] then that leads to 6 [nV] max, that far less then the 800[uV] max Vos specified.
Regards,

Hi,
The test circuit is correct. The values of Rf and Rs are kept low at 10 K/10 ohms to reduce the effect of offset current in the measurement. You can see practically, that the offset current will only produce an output voltage equal to Rf x Ios, whereas the offset voltage will be amplified by the voltage gain of 1+ Rf/Rs = 1001.
For measurement of offset current you will similarly use a high feedback resistor and an equal resistor from + input to ground ( no resistor from -ve input to ground). The offset current in this case will be Rf(large) x Ios.
Regards,
Laktronics

the equipment needed to measure these is expensive... these values are too low... following the datasheet is a better idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back