Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to test the High tension leads or high tension cables of a car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dineshdeshmuk

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to test the High tension leads or high tension cables of a car ?

Are they working fine ? what should be their resistance ?

thanX

If they are copper(very unlikely) then 0 ohms. If made within the last 20 years, then 10 - 20 K or so. Waggle them while measuring the resistance to make sure that the resistance does not jump to 1 M ohm!!!
Frank

The conductor resistance is almost zero, the insulation is very high to stand more than 25 KV so insulation testing requires special skills and equipments. Visual inspection will reveal any leakages when the cable is in service (actually working which will result in external sparking.

In addition to the above suggestions...

Run the engine in the dark. Look for any sparks at the wire boots. Look for sparks where anything touches the wires.

Turn on an AM radio. Bring it close to the engine. THe static will be severe. Listening to it can tell you something.

If you have an oscilloscope, you can test whether all plugs are firing. Do not make any direct electrical connections (unless your scope handles hi voltage!). Simply use a clothespin to hold your scope lead against the center wire at the distributor (rather against the wire's insulated part).

Adjust sweep speed so the screen shows the same number of pulses as you have plugs. An misfires will be obvious. This will alert you to a bad plug, or bad wire.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what happens to your oscilloscope. I have an old tube type, AC powered, and I got no problems from doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back