Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test the center-tape transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenwell

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transformer primary

hello:
I have one center-tape transformer, which is 12V-0-12V in primary side and 220v in secondary side. I wana know the ratio of my transformer. how do I do the testing on it!

regards

center tape transformer

hi
connect 220v to secondary and measure voltage in primary and divide them.
regards

12v-0-12v transformer center -uk

That's a good idea! I will try it! thanks

12v-0-12v transformer with 220v primary

You messed up all. Transformer primary is 220V. Transformer secondary is 2x12V.
If you connect 220V to 2x12V winding transformer will burn.
Transformer quick testing requires minimum two measurements. It is secondary voltage at no load and at nominal load.

transformer center tape

oh? could you give me more details? I am confused about it!

You have a 220V to 24V transformer, with a center tap (not tape) which splits the 24V coil into two series 12V coils. You can use the center tap to have two 12V AC sources or to full wave rectify to DC using two diodes.

Enough background, you want to know the ratio (I'm assuming the turns ratio).

You can calculate the ratio as 220/24 = 9.17. That is the primary has 9.17 turns for every turn in the secondary.

A way to verify this is to energize the primary winding (any voltage up to 220V AC) with the secondary winding open (no load). Measure the primary winding voltage and record as Vp. Then measure the secondary winding voltage (ignore the center tap) and record as Vs. The ratio is Vp/Vs.

To understand losses of your transformer, you must make more measurements, however, this is not your question.

-jonathan

For testing you can simply measure the voltage at the secondary by giving 220 volts at the primary.

If you are using a multimeter to measure, you must get 24 V (ignoring the center tap), and when you connect the center tap to ground(of multimeter probe) , you should get 12 volt with either of the other secondary wires.

Also you can verywell connect the transformer secondary output to a CRO. You should get a 50/60 Hz (depending on your country) sine wave. Now the peak voltage will be more than 24V, ( 24sqrt(2) to be exact ). This is because multimeters will measure the actual rms voltage.

Also another simple method is to check the continuity of the coils in both primary and secondary.

1)Apply rated load on transformer.
2)Measure votage on primary and secondary.
3)devide sec. volt/ pri. volt
Transformation ratio is with you

helenwell said:
hello:
I have one center-tape transformer, which is 12V-0-12V in primary side and 220v in secondary side. I wana know the ratio of my transformer. how do I do the testing on it!

Hi there
to measure the ration of convertion of a transformer is simply by operating it under no load test and see the output voltage and then divide the output voltage to the input, say 12/220

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back