Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to take input in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

saur

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In C, we can take input from the user at runtime using the "scan" command.

Is there a way to do the same in VHDL i.e. without using a file with pre-defined values????

Thanks for any help and suggestions...

Saurabh

VHDL IS NOT A SOFTWARE LANGUAGE, IT IS A HARDWARE LANGUAGE!!

What do you exactly mean by "take input"? VHDL is not designed to read a keyboard. VHDL is used to Describe Hardware (that's what the HD means).

You can read a file at runtime in a VHDL simulation. I you are talking about synthesized logic hardware, it has no native file handling capability by nature.

Std.textio does declare the text file INPUT, which should take input from the simulator console. But i have never used it, and i doubt many others gave either.

obviously, it is for simulation only. If you wanted it in and fpga you would have to included a keyboard driver, some methods of interrupting and a graphics output block. Sounds a bit like an embedded processor to me. Then you could use the scan C function on that

Status
Not open for further replies.