Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to synthesis a clock with multi frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfhm2002

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
design compiler set_false_path set_multi_path

hi,

In my design ,there is a clock whose frequency can be 2M, 4M, .. 24M, how to synthesis it in design compiler to avoid setup and hold timing violation anytime.

Regards.

Hold time doesn't related to the clock frquency.
To setup time issue, you have to meet the timing requirement with higtest frequency.
Thanks.

one more thing, you mean multiple clocks in your design or only one clock in your design?

By the way, how to synthesis a design with 2 asynchronous clocks?

Richard Lee said:
By the way, how to synthesis a design with 2 asynchronous clocks?

hi. View DC manual, you can find some clues

if it is 2 asynchronous clocks, it is your design problem, in dc, you set_false_path.
if it is asynchronous clocks,let dc to process timing , same to one clock.

Is your clock the result of a big mux of 2M, 4M, ... 24M. So I think you should creat a clock from the ouput pin of the mux, and use the 24M clock.

Good Luck

But there r some cases that a submodule use, say 12MHz clock and another submodule use, say 24Mhz clock? In this case, how should I synthesis my design? Thanks.

check with set_multi_path for all clocks

If you have a multi frequency system and the clocks are not related...not even multiples of each other....then things become quite difficult. If they are related then it becomes easier as you can define multi-cycle paths....

I have noticed that Ambit deals with multi frequency designs better than synopsys

If they're all synchonrous to each other, then the problem is not difficulte:(1) there're no multi-clock signals used by the other design using another clocks. In this case you can let the synthesis tool deal with the timing requirements. By default, if the signal generated by one clock is used by another clock's sampling, the timing should meet with the setup time requiremnts of the other clocks.(2) if the timing in the previous case cann't be met, then multi-clock (if sure of the number of the clocks required) or may be using set_false_path with handshake methods.

If there are multi-clock domains which means asynchronous to each other, then the problem is more difficult: (1) set_fasle_path using synchronizing circuits. (2) set_false_path using handshake methods just like Req and Ack handshakes

I ever designed my USBIF using multiple clock on one clock line. I set the timing constraint based on the max. speed freq. and there are no any unstable state occured. So you can try this rule in your desing.

Did u check your clock generation,
Generate only clock at top level , and rest as virtual clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back