Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to sum two opposite polarity currents in CMOS 0.18u technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to obtain the temperature invariant current reference using basic BGR circuit, but now i'm stuck at this part. Exactly how to implement this part of the circuit when i have two opposite polarity currents current sum.png

Can you guarantee that one is always larger than the other?
If so then this is basically like a folded cascode type problem,
the stronger should draw from the cascode source and the
weaker only subtracts some of it.

Bipolar operation is trickier. But I don't think this is needed
in this case.

Thanks for the reply freebird.
Actually I am using a BJT to obtain the CTAT current, but I hope that will not be a problem to implement the current summing thing which i'm looking for. And yeah the currents are not exactly the same but nearly the same but with opposite polarity.
What u r seeing in the below picture is, i'm obtaining the PTAT current from regular BGR circuit, and from the small circuit at the right side with a BJT and load is to obtain a CTAT current. So I should manage to bring in both the currents to obtain a current reference.forEdaBoard.png

The trick might be to fold one of the currents back using a current mirror.
Then just sum the two currents directly.

Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply. How exactly i should fold one of the currents using current mirror and how to sum them together? can u just elaborate in a pictorial form. Is the below picture is something similar to what u r trying to say? I have a major doubt in this part, is it this easy to sum two currents and is it a right way of implementation? Current sum.png

Hi Erikl, I've implemented this circuitry and sadly i'm not obtaining the current reference output, take a look on these images: Currentref.png CYooJPark.png

I've implemented this circuitry and sadly i'm not obtaining the current reference output ...

Hi thanu, I just wanted to show you the summing principle. Perhaps I should have warned you about the reproduction of the full circuit: my result (in a 0.18µm process, too) wasn't much better - and this after a lot of resizing trials on transistors and resistors:

Iout_vs_Temp.png

It was, however, good enough between 0 and 85°C for our purpose.

Erikl, is it true that not all ur transistors are in saturation region? Since i'm seeing the current response what u have got is in terms of nAs.

- - - Updated - - -

Erikl, by the way i'm trying to obtain the reference current in the range of 10uA with just 0.1% of variation for pretty good temperature range (atleast till 100 deg cel.). I know it's too much to ask for, but it's my requirement.

is it true that not all ur transistors are in saturation region? Since i'm seeing the current response what u have got is in terms of nAs.

Of course they all were in sat. region. A 0.5µA current reference was our requirement.

by the way i'm trying to obtain the reference current in the range of 10uA with just 0.1% of variation for pretty good temperature range (atleast till 100 deg cel.). I know it's too much to ask for, but it's my requirement.

For a 1000ppm/100°C = 10ppm/°C drift forget about this circuit. You'd need one of the best available bandGap references for this (check e.g. this Vita/Iannaccone design), and a resistor with an even lower temperature drift - probably an external one.

Reactions: thanu

thanu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the advice Erikl, I'll go through this design, will implement and share the response I obtained from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.