Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to start xilinix fpga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilini is it ok to use schematic

Hi

Please say that what is my need to start xilinix FPGA /CPLD design?
(soft+hardwares)

I checked the altera and xilinix but I chose xilinix,what is your idea about this?

Whic is lower cost at same gates?

bye

either one is a good choice, you can start with the free web version of the tools enter your design in schematic and or hdl then target a device likely to hold your design.

both companies have tutorials many appnotes you can follow.

A START IS TO UNDERSTAND YOU'R DEVICE !

FIRST YOU SHOULD READ ABOUT THE DEVICE, AND THE TO OPERATE THE TOOLS !

You sould compare them depending on your gate needs. Xi/linx has larger and faster devices but they are really expensive (multi-million gate FPGAs)

However, if you need only 10K-500K gate, @ltare would be cheaper.

Regards.

Hi!

As the people before said you must consider the n° of gates and that depend of the application that you would like to do.
I am using FPGA in DSP purpose and x*l*nx offer much better solutions then @ltera.

About the price issue they are quite equal.

The reason Why I did chose x*l*nx was the support and the tools.

Good luck, Bart

I need 10k to 500k ,and my applications is in this range,xilini*x site says that at the same price their FPGA have more gates(80%) !
is that correct?

BTW: say something about their softwares and tools .

I'm not sure what that means, but i recently checked prices at my local componentvendor and the price for a Spartan 20kgate was higher than the SpartanII 200kgate.

The backdraw of this is that the configuration memory for the SpartanII 200kgate is higher than for the Spartan 20kgate.
This is always the case with FPGA's:
The higher the Gate Count, the more expensive the configuration memory is.

Another problem is design protection.
If you design some nice system with your FPGA and you don't want any of your competitors to 'copy' your design, you're in trouble.
I don't know any solution to this problem.
(One solution could be to implement a part of your design into a CPLD)

greetz, venz.

Are there any companies that can turn an FPGA design into an ASIC?

- Jayson

Hi venz,

Do u mean that FPGAs does not include a "security bits" or something like that to protect the programmed structure of the chip.... this is really ODD. :?

Good site about FPGA:
h**p://w*w.optimagic.com/
Low cost XILINK FPGA boards:
h**p://w*w.BurchED.com.au/

Bus Master said:
Hi venz,

Do u mean that FPGAs does not include a "security bits" or something like that to protect the programmed structure of the chip.... this is really ODD. :?

Virtex2 has some security mechanism like PIC devices

4 Jayson

There are several companies that do that, (x*l*nx, @ltera, Flextron*cs...)

Bart

Hi,

concerning the conversion of FPGA to ASIC.

I have asked this question to Xilinx and they used to offer this service, but don;t anymore.
The cost was fairly low.
Now you have to go to commercial FPGA to ASIC conversion vendors.
They charge you up to $50.000 (ex. VAT) for a conversion.
You have to supply the designs, testbenches and all the help they need from you.

You get a minimum of 1000 chips for that price, but that is a little expensive if you need only 1. ;-)

Some other chpi manufacturers still offer this service, but it is still fairly expensive...

try to use CPLD's (Multiples of you can't fit it in one), AntiFuse FPGA's or Vitrex who can offer DES encryption for the configuration Stream.

greetz, venz.

I forgot to mention, there are several other techniques in copyprotecting your design.

Use a Microcontroller or PLD next to your FPGA for some sort of Security. Or put a critical design feature in the microcontroller or PLD.

Another is sealing your hardware in Epoxy raisin.
(That doesn't work that great i can tell you)

DON'T make the mistake to configure your FPGA through PLD or Microcontroller and think your safe here.
The configuration stream can easily be tapped an reproduced in a prom.
(Tried it once and is EASY)

greetz, venz.

venz said:
Another problem is design protection.
If you design some nice system with your FPGA and you don't want any of your competitors to 'copy' your design, you're in trouble.
I don't know any solution to this problem.
(One solution could be to implement a part of your design into a CPLD)

greetz, venz.

Newer devices with Xilinx can solve this problem. They have an encryption code inside the FPGA. If the FPGA does not have the proper encryption code, the device does not program.

However clever this seems, they rely on a battery to maintain the encryption code in the fpga. You loose the battery and you will have to re-program the encryption code otherwise your design is dead.

Fools! Why not some sort of non-volatile memory?

Hi Jayson,
look for HardCopy Devices from Altera.
Best Regards.

BGA said:
Hi Jayson,
look for HardCopy Devices from @ltera.
Best Regards.

You are right! I heard 50$ USD for the EP1S25 (Stratix) hardcopy for something like 10,000 units quantity, instead of the regular 250$ USD + the expansive EEprom.

Hardcopy is definitively not in the price range of the home hobbyist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't know you're an home hobbist .... excuse me.

BGA said:
I didn't know you're an home hobbist .... excuse me.

I'm not! I was just trying to be funny... Didn't work...

I edited my previous post to highlight my humor... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good day to all...

Arrrg! Sorry for the multiple redundant posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.