Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start with PLD world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpionss22

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pldworld

this is my second request to
howcan i learn pld
help me
to enter pld world

Re: second time no replyyyyyyyyy

You are asking a very broad question...

Try visiting the manufacturer's sites for tutorials and datasheets (Xilinx, Altera, etc) and using the search function here. There is also very much on the web, try this:

http://www.fpga4fun.com/
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.opencores.org/

In other words, read, read, read, think, design, build, debug, scrap, read more, think more, design, build, debug, etc etc. 8)

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

Hi scorpionss .. You sting!... I'm sorry buddy i missed your first request
Ok to learn PLD ..and later CPLD's wich are just bigs PLD Do this:

Get the data sheet of a PAL or a GAL .actually the PALs are almost extint now .A good starting point is the 22V10 ..

1)study the INPUT pin and PTERMS to a MACRO
2)study the CLOCK
3)study the MACROCELL and the OUTPUT pin
4)stydy the power consumption and tpd and other time parameters

Now after that you will be talking in terms of PROGRAMMABLE LOGIC

Now you need some PLD COMPILER is better to start with an assambler like PALASM,CUPL, ABEL or OTHER
the second phase is to learn how to describe COMBINATORIAL LOGIC

one tipical equation will be

A = /B*C*/D +.C*/F*+... (up to 8 to 10 Pterms .trying to fit more will result in a big ERROR ,which is your FAULT ) or other, so you need to affect output A to a particuliar pin number ( the sintax depends on the PLD assambler one example is :
PIN 1 B
PIN 2 C
PIN 3 F .....
PIN 19 A
PIN 20 VCC )

another usefull thing is to know how to TRISTATE
it may look like A.TRST = R*/S (up to 8 to 10 p)terms

Ok not to complicated so far ,you ALMOST KNOW EVERYTHING NOW!

Last PART . is SEQUENTIAL LOGIC

For that, what you learned studing the MACROCELL will help you here,to understand how to a clock a register using a CLOCK input or another TERM ...
Do a simple counter and you know everything

Last part is to undertand MEALLY and MOORE machines wich is another little page of reading ..
One great thing of dealing with PLD assambler is that you know righ there the time propagations and you can OPTIMEZE it as much as possible from the very beggining

CPLD are just more typical PLD blocks on the device .! Is then possible to use HDL languages .. Leaving the FITTER to allocate necessary resources at a extra cost of time propagation penalties

second time no replyyyyyyyyy

can you explain this!!!!!!
when i learned PIC i start with PIC16F84
i used:
1- assembly language for programming (which is the language supported from manufacturer in datasheet)
2-the COMPILER IS Mplab (which i download it from the manufacturer web free)
3- the programmer i found schematic in the internet web and i build it and it work

NOW THIS IS MY QUESTION:
1- i download the datasheet of 22V10 (so i will learn this PLD device)
2- what is the language which i must learn to program this PLD and where can i find good links to getting start
3- which COMPILER can i use and where can i find it
(please give me links)
4- the programmer where can i find it and is it free
direct links please
I HOPE YOU TO HELP ME AND PLEASE GIVE ME THE BEST CHOSE DEPEND ON YOUR EXPERIENCE

SORRY FOR THIS LONG POST

second time no replyyyyyyyyy

read datasheet,design a simple board for verify you code

u can use wincupl from atmel foe ur pld design needs.
u can also look for palASM, it is now in public domain.
both of them have many examples and documentations.
hock

HI scorpionss

Here ares some links :

PALASM :
**broken link removed**
WINCUPL :
resgister to download
http://www.atmel.com/products/pld/forms/softwareReg.asp

in general most manufaturers will offer some compiler solution

Here is Wincupl again :

**broken link removed**

do a serch on the INTERNET if you need more

search PALASM and WINCUPL

scorpionss22 said:
can you explain this!!!!!!
when i learned PIC i start with PIC16F84
i used:
1- assembly language for programming (which is the language supported from manufacturer in datasheet)
2-the COMPILER IS Mplab (which i download it from the manufacturer web free)
3- the programmer i found schematic in the internet web and i build it and it work
MPlab is not a compiler.
Compilers are not used for assembly language, but only for high-level languges such as C, C++ and BASIC.
A compiler translates the high-level language into low-level language (assembly).
MPlab is an assembler that translates assembly (low-level) language into machine code.

I have used ABEL to program PALs / GALs / PEELs, simple and easy to learn.

Hello scorpions22,

I believe you are thinking PAL has the same functionalities of a MCU. It's diferent. Usually the PAL just works as glue logic or some special features using combinatorial logic, you must think PAL like 74 or 40 CI series with spefic logic (ie A+B+NOT(C) ans so on). CPLD could be programed as state machine using more complex logic, could be use to process some signals, do simple criptografy etc. CPLD not works as MCU but in complement to. Please refer Xilinx apps notes.
FPGA could be used as MCU and uProcessor depends on programing. For FPGA you have HDLs that you program and "compile" (not exactly) your code before synthesize and download to chip.
In all cases design like a HW engineer, using digital logic, not like a SW thinking in therms of routines, classes etc. You can in these way produce a chip with good performance using a smaller FPGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back