Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to start with linux???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
There are lots of HOW TO pages on the web. You can find information there.

If you want to learn linux just on your Microsoft XP system try to use Cygwin:

https://www.cygwin.com

it comes with gcc compiler etc... and its free

try a "linux live cd"
every company produce linux produce a live cd for its distribution
this version runs from cd and needs no installation
jast boot from ur cd and run linux
try this "live cd"

**broken link removed**

download it
burn it as image with nero "not as data"
boot the pc from it
enjoy linux without installing it

eject the cd and return back to ur windows

actually, linux is very simple to use. don't worry much about command shell.

Hi,
Linux is not as tough as it is thought of. Although if you are migrating from GUI based operating systems like Windows, then its better take some time and learn the basics and then get started.
For tutorial you can go to linux homepage.
You can get a lot of tutorial online I am sending you link to one of them

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thanks
Shaikh Sarfraz

start from a community driven linux. i mean that distro which has a community for that particular distro like ubuntu.

ubuntu is full community driven with an active list of members at ubuntufroums.org.

it is easy to post question and get answer within 5 or 6 minutes.
plz try ubuntu or some other community driven linux.

I would suggest this website : "Distrowatch.com" it has all the flavors of linux out ther (may be about a a hundred) and each with a description and what it is optimized for from there you make your decision whether to install in to your hard drive or just boot it from a cd (ISO that you can download and burn for free in the same website)

Hi,
I visited the site www.distrowatch.com
But all the Linux OS are not free to download.
It will be better if you refer to some site where you can get free download for linux

Thanks
Shaikh Sarfraz

for me

red hat linux 9 was the best option to start with

i have downloaded beginning red hat linux 9 e book from flazx.com and believe me it worked.

u can try

I think it depends on ur need :). I had tried various kind of *NIX OS. But the best one is Knoppix (u can install it in harddisk). The reason is :

1. nice GUI
2. U can play mp3 or other audio/video file without installing more package
(in RedHat/fedora core/suse/mandriva etc u must install more package to listen mp3 and watch movie)
3. U can use it as a good try (without installing it)
4. Most of the package is suitable for desktop user :)

If you wanna use linux for server i suggest Debian/Ubuntu/Red Hat

Hope this will help

first than all, look for the forum about your distribution and log in, there you will find the best help for beginners, and also there are online a lot of manuals, just read them carefully, and the time will do the rest, the experience.

I think the best way to start as a beginner is Trial and Error. after you reached a resonable level you can start with available books.
but remember that:
Don't play with SU or ROOT user when you are a newbie.

I could not agree more, the best way indeed is to learn by doing it,
and dont worry install linux on some safe free space on your hard disk,and play around with it,

if you use the commands rather than the gui it will be much better,

mohamed saleh said:
try a "linux live cd"
every company produce linux produce a live cd for its distribution
this version runs from cd and needs no installation
jast boot from ur cd and run linux
try this "live cd"

Linux live is indeed a great way to see Linux and get familiar with the operating system but it has limitation ……….. You can’t create any directories of make any files, plus there are a lot of commands which needs you to be logged in as administrator and that is some thing which you can not do in Linux live

hi :)

it will be better to mention ur target.
what exactly u r planning to do?

programmin under linux, networking under linux or just use it as an OS?

hi
please give me your email address i will send some good books for starting.

Hi,
for me, the best way for a beginner is to install a virtual machine software such as VMware and install Linux on the virtual machine to avoid any complications. after feeling comfortable with linux working, can choose to install normally without VMware.

thanks
sawaak

Get Open Suse 10.2 from en.opensuse.org or just google it, it's a free download it's the best Linux for beginers, weather we like the M$-Novell deal we all have to admit that Novell is one of the internet pioneers and SUSE is one of the best Linux distribution arround! I would recomend Debian too, but as it's development phase is rather slow and carefull, it's not for a beginer as he'd have to build a lot of updated packages for software compatibility with newer apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.