Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start study microcotroller because I want to study it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How to start study microcotroller because I want to stud

PIC microntroller has alot of examples,
and good datasheet documentation.

Read the datasheet, and copy examples from website.
Start with a simple hands on project, you will learn a lot.

www.siongboon.com

for me, i choose 8051 microcontroller to study.
According to my guide line person, he teached me,

1 basic digital couse (including combinational and sequential logic and state machine design ending with basic of PROM to PLD.)

2.8085 course including progrmming model achitecture and intefacing with it peripherals based on three bus architecture. The reference book is
Digital Electronic Computer by Malvino

3.Finally 8051 course with Keil software and ISIS simulation software to practice before implementing real projects

These three steps are the teaching guide of my learnign curve to 80cC51.

better for u if u start form 8051 microcontroller

the only solution is start with Atmel 89c2051+get Mazidi's bood the best one and project given with example in this bood try to make them soon you will be experienced in using mirocontroller.

Hi.

First of all, as others said before, search for your local store(online shop) what kind of microcontrollers are available. It's very important to be easy to buy.( Consider that, beeing a begginer, you may "burn" 1 or 2 chips, and if you can't easily&quicly buy a new one, you may loose your enthusiasm...)

If PIC is available for you, start with PIC16F887.
AVR is also a good choice, but, for example, in my Country there is no distributor and therefore, it's quite difficult to find an Atmel at a reasonable price for hobbyst.

Good luck!

You can start reading the books of related topics.
Try to find from the net. This is very useful sources.

Regards,
Tukul12

I'd say start with dsPIC30F series PICs. Build a JDM2 programmer for $2, and program the device with an ingenia bootloader. From that point, you can upload your programs over a serial connection such as a USB->UART converter module (loads of them available around). The same module can be used to recieve debug information from the chip when creating programs.

For compiler, use MPLAB. U can get the C30 student version, fully featured for 2 months. The programming is pretty much ANSI C, and documentation is good. The reason I suggest this chip is it requires very few external components, it is a 5V microcontroller easy to power from USB without any external supply or regulator, it is easy to get started with, and it has muscle.

Best regards

Beginners should avoid the dsPIC series of PICs, they are very complex 16 bit microcontrollers and not aimed at someone just starting out with PICs.
Try a 16F or 18F series PIC, the popular 40pin are 16F877A (replaced with 16F887) or the 18F4620. The 18F have C18 SE (free) and Swordfish BASIC SE (free) of course MPLAB and MPASM are free for all PICs.
Plus get a decent programmer or better yet one with a debugger as it's a excellent tool for anyone programming PICs.
PS the JDM programmers are pretty sporadic.

sure - the dsPICs are pretty powerful, but are they complex? They have much more configuration options, because they have a lot more peripherals. but apart from that - IMHO - they are not so very very much more complicated than PIC16.

complex chip is a TMS [;

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

dsPIC are way overkill for 90% for many microcontroller projects, they have DMA, countless I/O options, scads of speed and peripherals, etc, etc... The datasheets are huge and can overwhelm most beginners.
The dsPICs and the 24F versions are amazing microcontrollers, they beat the snot out of any 8bit micro as far as raw computing power goes. There is almost no source code for them compared to the 8bit PICs like the antique 16F84.
IMHO a really nice set of starter PICs are the 16F628A or 16F88 and the 18F1320. All are small 18pin and have built in oscillators.

viandro said:
I realy want to study microcontroller but I don't know " How to start study it and I don't have book to help me study microcontroller.

" Please Help Me I want to study it. "
No matter what kind of microcontroller you choose, you'd better know its struction and code instruction . Do some experence !! Then you can learn C program . It can make you job easy.

just go to the microcotroller.com ....

blueroom,
I respectfully disagree that dsPIC30 is much more complex than PIC18. I had PIC18 in school, and when I migrated to dsPIC30 as my "standard CPU" it was a walk in the park. A bit different? yes. Harder? no. Regarding the JDM, yes, I sometimes have to do several tries to get the code onto my chip, but when using bootloaders, I don't see that as much of an argument. On beginner level you can debug pretty good just by outputting messages over UART. Hey, that's even the way I debug my C++ PC apps; console messages or messageboxes...

EDIT: No DMA on dsPIC30, blueroom. Not on all dsPIC33 either.

Those info are very usefull guys thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.