Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start learning about transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are a newbie then start learning ne555 based timer. like astable m.v , led flasher. lm324 based comparator. transistor
based amplifier. e.t.c

look for some old junkie radio, & tv sets. try to understand the components .. study the datasheet & servicemanual

Reactions: nadiro

nadiro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A 555, audio amp, light detector, temperature regulator etc. It does not matter, all are analog. The rerason I think this is better is because you want to learn from it. If you make one of those you can experiment and measure what happens and then try to explain it or calculate it.
For instance, if you make an RC filter for audio you can use the pc to generate a sinewave and measure the filter slope. You first calculate what to expect and then you can measure it with a multimeter. Most multeters kan measure upto 10 kHz, real good ones to 1 MHz. This way it is educational.

If you make a transmitter you can build it, then it works or it does not. If it does not seems to work you will never know why, it can work but on the wrong frequency. If you have a 150 MHz scope, a good LCR meter and a spectrum analyser (or a SDR-RTL usb stick (they cover 50-1800 MHz)) then it can be educational to build a transmitter.A capacitor of 10 pF can have paracitic capacitance and inductance that make it look like it is for instance 20 pF and then the transmitter operates but on a much lower frequency.
I started with receivers. The most educational were MW AM receivers (or a AM transmitter to recive your ipod on an old am radio, or on your home made receiver. My oscilloscope was suited for those frequency.

Also very nice is building some testgear. Educatinal, analog and usefull. For instance a capacitance bridge. Conrad hoffman, like me a General Radio collector, has a nice description on his website how to do this.
https://conradhoffman.com/mini_metro_lab.html A series articles publiced one in a magazine about making some measurement gear.
https://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm And download the pdf how to build a capacitance bridge. This is very educational and also very usable for other experiments.

Then build a sinewave generator with a wienbridge and a lightbulb for amplitude stabilisation. That can replace a pc as generator.

Then make things like a RF detector for your multimeter and try to make an RF generator. The voltmeter then can show you if it is working.
Buy a scope (20 MHz is good for a lot of things but for FM radio you need a much more expensive one. I do not know your country but over here you can buy a 20 MHz under 50 euro.
Then you can do some resonance experiments with LC networks. (using your bridge to measure C, the generator and scope to find resonance. And that way you can calculate the value of the inductor.

And so you make things that are educational and usefull.

Other simple educational things. A battery tester (with a switching mosfet as load), temp control for a fan, a led that goes on if it gets dark (with a comparator) a boost converter (5 to 12VDC or other value)

Read the art of electronics from Horrowitch, one of the best books around.
Also very important in analog design are opamps. Download at the site of TI the book: opamps for everyone, or the analog design book from the LTC website. Very good info. Read appnotes from Jim Williams. Look at the you tube movies from Bob Pease.
In analog design important fields are interfacing analog to digital (ADCs), signal filtering/amplifying, DC-DC converters and RF, but then in the 400 MHz to several gHz. But that is the most difficult part of analog design and the use of very expensive and complicated measurement gear and lots of complex math. It is not even close related to building a FM bug without measurement gear. You do not learn from that. It is just fun if it works but that it.

nadiro

You can learn a lot electronics from 555 and 741 ICs a 555 can be used as a modulator itself a bread board 555 and LED and some values of resistor and capacitor can give you a great knowledge, there are thousands of circuits possible...

@PA4TIM I never heard anything about a ham group, is there a rule for how many fm channels are available in a location and is all the fm stations are sterio?
and what is the exact bandwidth for FM..?

nadiro

https://www.arrl.org/ this is probably the biggest in the world. But regulation is very different between countries so maybe in India every one is allowed to transmit. I do not know. https://www.hamradio.in/ I think these guys will know.
FM is just frequency modulation, so a way to modulate. Bandwidth, Stereo , mono, added things like RDS are not fixed values or variables . Bandwidth depents on how "hard" you modulate it. Regulation about stereo, raster, bandwith, range, power, harmonic suppresion etc is not the same all over the world. Each governement can makes its own rules but often they follow international regulations. Like those from an organisation like ITU: https://www.itu.int/en/about/Pages/default.aspx

I agree about the 555, it is a very nice component that can learn you a lot. There are sites devoted only to the 555. There are even 555 design competitions.

nadiro

Thank you my friends

I decided to start with 555 IC.

please suggest some circuits about 555.
I will read its datasheet and search about it then I simulate its circuits and ask my questions here.

Have a nice time.

nice build a astable multi vibrator circuit with you own design to get Ton = 0.5ms and Toff = 0.6ms...

nadiro

nadiro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back