Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solve a VCO measurement problem with phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

danda821

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VCO measurement problem

I am testing a VCO using spectrum analyzer. I found the frequency is changing with time esp. when the frequency span is small (5MHz). So it is very hard to get a good phase noise measurement since the carrier power is not stable. Is there any way to overcome this problem? Thanks.

VCO measurement problem

VCOs are very sensitive to control voltage. So you need to filter it as much as you can. Supply voltage has to be filterd also, and a shield for the board can be necessary.
A good way to measure it is lock with a PLL with a very small loop bandwidth. For freqs larger then the loop bandwidth you'll see the VCO phase noise.
A more expensive solution is use a dedicated instrument.
I hope t can help.
Mazz

VCO measurement problem

I will suggested you testing the VCO in a room with clean ground. We run into this problem before. Later we test it in another building. The spectrum is stable.

VCO measurement problem

VCO are sensitive to test probes. Usually when you use an oscilloscope probe or even coaxial , the VCO unlocks . If you are using an spectrum analyzer, the best way is use a FET probe too. This comercial probe is attached to the spectrum . Valid measurements can be made from here .
If FEt probe is not available , im sure a FET amp with gain =1 could be used .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back