Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solder this chip with small pins below ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goxy

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to solder this chip?

How to solder this chip with small pins below ?
Does someone know some bottom to put chip into and then solder bottom pins to PCB?

This is an 192-ball BGA-package. I would say it's impossible to solder by hand. But you should do a search in the forum for 'solder && BGA' and you'll find some approaches ...

Good luck,
Mik

You need a heat air gun for solder this type of chip. :lol:

I didn't download the file for the chip so I will take the word of the other fellow that identified it as a 192BGA.

I don't think this could be done without a hot air solderstation made for BGA chip placement. I have worked with many experienced assemblers that would shrug their shoulders without this equipment.

You could try a hot air gun, but I wouldn't expect good results even from an assembler with 10 years+ experience.

Smaller BGA's might be possible, by hand, with a hot air gun.

Good luck.

Oh, you could take to a contract manufacturer and have them do it for you. About $35 if I remember correctly.

I agree with Prouddad_1. Also you will need to have an X-ray taken to
see if all the pins/balls are truly connected. This saves you time in
debug , a trip back to that company, and possibly a chip that
might blow if a VCC or Ground is not connected or shorted.
It cost my old company ~$50 USD for up to 3 on one run.

If you do it by hand very be careful

Good luck

A split vision system such as a SNIPER is the way to go. I think this is way beyond hand soldering with a hotair gun.

BGA equipment

The sniper is easy to use/easy to learn. Pricey if you're only doing a few chips and not justifiable. We needed it for ic development, so it was a necessity. We also managed to use ours for a makeshift temp test station.

OK industries also makes bga soldering equipment but I don't have much experience with thier equipment.

This is almost impossible to do without a hot air gun or soldering oven.
Other methods can destroy the chip.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back