Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate the nonlinearity of a relaxation oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

icpaopao

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cosmosscope eye diagram jitter

I have some questions for help.

1. How to simulate the nonlinearity of a relaxation oscillator.
2. Why some papers use HD2 to descripe the control linearity of a oscillator instead of the THD or HD3.
3. what's the difference between ' .fft , .four '
4. What type of jitter can be measured by eye diagram? Is it cycle-cycle jitter?

Please, hlpe me. Thank you very much.:idea::idea::idea:

eye diagram oscillator

1. suppose you said it's VCO. Give a ramp control voltage, check the output period of oscillator. we can get the gain of VCO, then we will get the nonlinearity.
4. from the eye diagram, I think we can measure the period jitter.

Ryan

Thank you for reply.
1. I can get the v-f curve,but HD2, HD3 is usually used to descripe the nonlinearity, how can I get the HD2, HD3?
4. From some products, I found the parameter of output jitter is 50psp-p. How can I get it(psp-p) from eye diagram?

Does HD2 means 2nd Harmonic Distortion? I have not used HD2 for nonlinearity description in VCO before.
Does psp-p means ps (peak-to-peak)? I find a picture, maybe it can give some information.
29_1188920016.jpg

eye diagram

You can get more details about jitter at www.agilent.com
"Measuring Jitter in Digital Systems, Application Note 1448-1"

Ryan

YES. HD2 means 2nd Harmonic Distortion.
Thanks.
Yes, it's period jitter. I find the definition.
'Period jitter is the measurement of a signal, generally a repeating signal, from one edge to another similar repeating edge. Common period measurement tools measure the rising edge of a signal to the next rising edge. After taking
a significant sample of period measurements, the standard deviation and peak values can be resolved:
this statistical information is the period “jitter” in the signal.'
But the question are:
1. How can I use cosmosscope to caculate the time differences between every two rising edge. And then get the standard deviation.

2. As I konw, the DB2 is a DC parameter , How can I get it ?

For help , thank you very much.

In CosmosScope we can use its measurement to get the period of each cycle, then can get the period deviation.

Ryan

Got it, thank you. I get the period jitter.

But how to simulate the HD2,HD3?
why HD2 is xx dB,
but total harmonic distortion = 73.3390 percent
why the units of the HD2 and THD are different?

Re: How to simulate the nonlinearity of a relaxation oscilla

please fefer to spectreRF guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back