Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate the Gm value of a transconductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcyin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
it's about the transconductor simulation method.

when I have to acquire the Gm of a transconductance, first, I think the current variation should be simulated versus the input voltage variation, and then, maybe the derivation can applied to the plotted current curve, however, the current variation is on the PMOS loads of the transconductor, or on the resistor loads attached to the output node?

in a word, how can I get the Gm value of the transconductor by spectre simulation?

Thanks very much!

I think Gm is simply i/v. So you apply an input signal and measure output current

Beware, there are two gm, one is for large signal and another one is for small signal. FOr the first one, you can run DC analysis to get it and for the second one, you can get it from the derivative method.

THx!

but what I cannot be certain is which current should I detect, the current flowing through the PMOS load(for the simple CMOS differential pair), or do I have to attach some resistor to the output nodes and to get the current through the resistor?

nxing said:
Beware, there are two gm, one is for large signal and another one is for small signal. FOr the first one, you can run DC analysis to get it and for the second one, you can get it from the derivative method.

i wonder how to get the gm for large signal, i try to run dc analysis ,but the result is not satisfied, i don't know how to measure the output current(if full-differential), should i connect a resistor or a voltage source for the load in my output ports?

the gm for the small signal, how to get the output current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back