Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set the metal loss in HFSS antenna simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaWingJing

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

I am now going to design some antennas in 60GHz with the aid of HFSS version 12. In millimeter wave, the metal loss reduces the gain and efficiency of the antenna in real situration and the metal loss should be considered. However, it seems that I cannot set the metal loss in the simulator (HFSS).

Please teach me if anyone here knows how to set it?

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Hello,

Yes, you can add metallic losses in a HFSS simulation : use impedance boundary conditions, and choose your lossy material (you can also create one).

Best regards,

Thanks for your help.

Btw, I have used such setting in HFSS to simulated my 60GHz microstrip antenna.
The simulated gain of the antenna is 8.4dB without the metallic loss and is 8.2dB with the metallic loss. It seems that the reduced gain is not so serious.
However, lectiture often mention that microstrip antennas have high metallic loss and resulting low efficiency and low gain in millimeter wave.
Is there something wrong in lectiture or in my simulation?

At high frequency like 60 GHz, the conductor thickness is really comparable to the skin depth. In such case, you'd better use 3D metal model and check the solve inside option. To save time, you can also try the finite conductivity boundary with regular sheet metal model, but pay attention to the thickness setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back