Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to select simulation tool in RFIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

longstar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,gurs.
I know some tolls,such as ADS,Ansoft,CADENCE,etc.But I don't konw which is the best in RFIC.
Rgds
longstar

which tool to use just depend on what you want to do. if you want to analyze the RFIC from the frequency domain, the ADS is a good tool. from the time domain, maybe the CADENCE or HFSS is better.

longstar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks,wanily1983.
But i am confused with which is the favorite tool in RFIC.

Added after 6 minutes:

I know some companies simulate RF circuits with CADENCE SPECTURE RF tool.But I have not find out some information about how to use it.
Wanily1983,could you tell me sth. or the link.thanks.

Hello longstar,

I suggest you to use two simulators for verifying RFIC circuits...

1. Transient simulator (Spectre / HSPICE)
2. Harmonic Balance Simulator (AWR MWOffice / Agilent ADS)

Also You can use single integrated environment for complete RFIC design
from Schematic capture to GDS generation available from AWR, Inc.
See the details...
Analog Office Design Suite
The Next Generation in Analog and RFIC Design

http://www.appwave.com/products/analog/

Success story from Jazz Semi...
http://www.appwave.com/news/press/PR051121.html

If you still want complete details on what simulator needs to be selected for RFIC design...I have attached excellent PDF documents ...
It is an ultimate collection...go through the same...

I hope this helps you...

---manju---

longstar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks.manjunatha_hv.
As I know, much more companies prefer to Spectre. Is it right? If right,Why?
Rgds,
longstar

Cadence is a standart.
When it's needed, ADS ( or RFDE) may be used. The others are only complemantry..

RFIC design should start with DC and transient simulation and then other simulators will be able to complete the design such as parasitic extraction,package development,EM simulation etc..

But Cadence is the first...

Dear Longstar,

Yes...but now most of them looking for alternative simulators...
In my opinion & experience!!!

Because it has wide support of almost all the RFIC Foundries and also cadence has good layout or back end tools....and most of them looking for single vendor for complete flow...

But Cadence flow lacks integrated flow for RFIC design from schematic to GDS,
it is basically pices of tools at each stage & it is very expensive...
Also it lacks the RF capabilities in his simulators ...hence they have co developed with agilent to form RFDE...

RFDE basically front end simulators from Agient ADS & Back end layout tools from cadence for Prasitic Extraction, LVS & DRC...
Again it is a big mess since two GUI/tools two databases simulation mismatches & lot of import & export problems...

---manju---

Longstar,
In my opinion there is not a "Best" tool, but only a better tool for different kund if design and tecnology.
In RFIC historically people used time domai analysis becauese the time domain simulators were developerd first, and because tiically RFIC means silicon and all silicon foundry develop design kit described in the tikme domain.
Respect the frequency domain tools some times they are better, bacause with increasing frequencies the time domaiin becomes less important...
To resume a good tool nedd to have a time domain smutatora and a frequency domain simulator usable with the same models...

Hope this can help..

hi, guys, I have some questions
how to transfer designs in cadence to @DS?
I mean I have done some work in spectreRF, and now I want to use HB simulation in @DS, what should I do?
is it possible to use spectre netlist and spectre model in @DS?

sometimes I feel it rather a tough job to very the design in different tools since there is no easy interface between them

3x, and happy new year!

bigworm said:
hi, guys, I have some questions
how to transfer designs in cadence to @DS?
I mean I have done some work in spectreRF, and now I want to use HB simulation in @DS, what should I do?
is it possible to use spectre netlist and spectre model in @DS?

sometimes I feel it rather a tough job to very the design in different tools since there is no easy interface between them

3x, and happy new year!

By using Dynamic Link or RFDE if the models are recognized by ADS.

Wondering why Xpedion is not mentioned. It is HB based and can use the same set of cadence models.

Mesfet+

Well, but I don't have RFDE (and dynamic link neither)
My @DS is 2004A, is there any convenient way to transfer data between these tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.