Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to see electric field patterns of all modes in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashubhu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, i am simulating cylindrical cavity for 10 modes in Eigenmode solver of HFSS. how can i see Electric field patterns of all modes in Eigenmode simulation separately? Also hw can i show a field pattern on a plane??

thanks in advance..

Modes in HFSS

To excite different modes, go to HFSS -> Fields -> Edit sources and you can turn on/off any mode you wish. These excitations are what you see in your field plots.

As for plotting fields on planes, expand Planes in the model tree window, select the plane of interest, then right click in the 3D modeler window and select plot fields.

have fun :)

Re: Modes in HFSS

Thanks a lot! tallface65

I have one more problem. HFSS can solve only 20 modes in eigenmode solver. How can we see other higher order modes which comes beyond 20 modes? suppose TE061 mode i have to see.
How can we filter TE or TM modes from simulation so that at a time HFSS simulates TM or TE modes only????

Modes in HFSS

To do this, you will have to solve for the first 20, then make another setup where the minimum frequency is raised to the highest frequency of the 20th mode from the first setup. Then you can solve for the next 20 modes until you find the one of interest.

HFSS, nor any other field solver I am aware of, thinks in terms of the artificial names of TE, TM, HE, etc. It thinks in terms of resonant frequencies and modes, thus it returns all modes, including degenerate ones. You will have to likely plot each field of each resonance until you recognize the mode of interest.

Later :)

Re: Modes in HFSS

Hi tallface65,

Your discusion before was so helpfull.
But when I did the same thing for lower modes( I expect my first mode will appear from say 200MHz) the solution did not converge even when I changed the minimum frequency in the setup to 100MHz.
should we also change the minimum frequency of the PML setup to be the same like that of the setup.
and if i expect the band gap to start from zero, so what is the minimum frequency that i should use either in the main setup or in the PML.

Sadmad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back