Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to secure temperature sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you attaching them to, what is the min/max temp involved ?

Regards, Dana.

I'm attaching them to GPU/CPU blocks, inlet and outlet water connections, RAM modules, VRMs ... I'm using a Thermal Imaging camera to get an idea of the hot spots, then placing temp sensors on the hot spots to get a more accurate reading and pinpoint.

Temp range is about -4C to 105C.

The sensors help determine delta from each water cooled loop from various start/end points (along with other sensor types). It's one of the projects I've been working on that I don't want to go into too much detail (NDA).

I've ordered some Thermal Glue from amazon based on input, but still not sure if it's what I really need as it needs to be "removable".

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: currently the way I've been doing the sensor attachment is via electrical tape and small zip ties, but obviously some locations aren't suited for such a crude method.

I'd expect more accurate measurement with thermal imaging. The kapton film isolating the sensor in combination with the wire heat dissipation can easily cause an error of 10 degree C or more. Glue type is less critical than layer thickness.

The kapton film isolating the sensor in combination with the wire heat dissipation can easily cause an error of 10 degree C

Interesting ... I'll be sure to check that with manual probe ... my thermal imaging devices (HTi HT-19) claims a sensitivity of 0.07C but to be honest I never really thought thermal imaging devices could be that accurate ... sounds like I made a bad assumption but will verify.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers, Rob.

It's important to apply a paint layer on metal parts (heat sinks, tubes) otherwise they show the reflected ambient instead of their own temperature in thermal imaging.

For accurate contact measurement, I prefer extra thin thermocouples, attached with epoxy or cyanacrylate. An isolating film should be used for live metal parts, but it's causing a temperature error.

Status
Not open for further replies.