Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to 'save and resume' SSH sessions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon30

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

At one company I saw the following setup: one can log in to RedHat thru VNC client (over SSH, I think) start Monte Carlo analysis then exit the VNC client, shut down his windows PC and go home. At the morning he will go to his workstation turn on his pc log in again to the RedHat server thru the VNC client (over SSH, I think) and see the results or the progression of the MC analysis.
At my university we have SSH services running on Solaris server and we typically connect to it via some SSH clients (Putty, MobaXterm, Secure Shell, etc.) but whenever we close the client our sessions are done, like the user logs off the server completely.
How can I prevent this, is this a client specific or should we do some server side configuration, or may be we need to use some other protocol that supports such 'save and resume' operations like VNC or some specific server/client software?
Of course it would be best if there is a way to achieve that functionality with the build in SSH server and various clients (the affordable solution).

Thanks in advance,
Leon.

the 'screen' command may be useful in combination with your shells nohup (likely) builtin?

man screen
man nohup

screen will handle the save and resume thing but if you want the job to continue to run overnight then nohum may be useful.

Regards, Dan.

Instead of screen tmux can be used. Sometimes screen is installed and sometimes tmux.

man screen

Thank you both for the suggestions. Does screen or tmux works with remote X11 windows like when I have opened some schematic in Cadence, or they support only terminal windows ? Also for nohup I saw some examples how I can split and direct the output to a file 1 and the errors to file 2, or just use them in the default nohup.out, but the question is in the case of Monte Carlo analysis will the results browser be able to handle nohup.out as an input and show me the graphs afterwards ?

I found also this - https://xpra.org/ which seems to do screen + nohup job with X windows, and even supports TCP shell-less connections, but unfortunately it's not very easy to be installed from source on the old Solaris 8 :(.

I haven't tested tmux for x sessions.

Perhaps you can use a remote desktop session with vnc (or nomachine). However, this gives you the whole desktop and not just one application.
And probably there is a vnc server package for solaris 8.

dear...
you can 'save and resume' SSH sessions by using...

man screen

man nohup

I second NX approach. The NoMachine's v3 support multiple sessions, but not sure about support for recent Linux releases.

As another alternative, you could try mosh - SSH for less reliable connections. Launch a vncserver session and tunnel vial ssh or mosh.

You could also try teamviewer as long as the usage is not commercial (or a license is bought).

Status
Not open for further replies.