Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to run unix on windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hari_lhr

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
run unix on windows xp

is there any software which can be installed on windows xp....to practice unix or linux ..without installing the linux or unix OS...

how to run unix in windows xp

u can start with cygwin and linux itself
brm

Here's a clever Windows utility that allows Linux to run natively under Windows. I've used it to run Linux servers, X apps, and to compile stuff. Your entire Linux file system resides in an ordinary Windows file.
http://www.colinux.org/

virtual unix for windows

Is VMware one such software?

run unix and xp together

Yes, VMware is a popular product that can host multiple operating systems including Linux.
VMware is a commercial product. coLinux is free and open-source.
**broken link removed**

Virtual PC (now Microsoft) is another one. I think it's free:
https://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc/

All these methods have some limitations compared to booting your computer directly into Linux.

virtual unix on windows

Use Lindows

unix for windows xp

If you can connect to a server which has installed Linux/Unix OS, then you can also practice it. It is more convenience. HaHa.

Ryan

unix vm image that can be run on windowsxp

If you can connect to a server which has installed Linux/Unix OS, u can use a software called putty that u can make throw ftp or telnet to the server

can i practice unix on linux

also u can use vmware server consol so u can creat a virtual machine in ur pc and setup the unix or linux os or if u have an iso image for the os u can work with it throw the virtual machine u creat it

how to practice unix on windows xp

is this possible ?

xp run unix

I think you can use a "live" distribution of Linux that can boot from CD, or use a virtual environment like vmware or better VirtualBox (hxxp://www.virtualbox.org/) that is free but you must install the Unix os in this environment or you must use a image than you can freely found on Internet.

Regards

Re: how to run unix in windows xp

brmadhukar said:
u can start with cygwin and linux itself
brm

No, cygwin is just a poor "emulator"... nothing more.

chrdcv

Status
Not open for further replies.