How to resolve a true signal from a spur at the same frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelaly

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if there is a way in frequency domain to resolve a true signal from a spur falling at the same signal frequency.

Or in other words, is there a way to only eliminate the spur leaving the signal?

Thanks

Hi,

It depends... therefore you will find a lot of "if"
* if the signal waveform is sine
* if the frequency is known
* if you have enough input data with no signal (to find out the noise amplitude at this signal)
* if you have enough input data to get a meaningful result when you subtract the noise.

Klaus

Thanks Klaus.

If I first inject an input signal at f1 via cable (only one signal input to the receiver). I know there will be a signal dependent spur at f2 based on mixing with harmonics of the LOs in my receiver. I'm able to see the spur.
Then, using a combiner and another signal generator, I inject a signal at the spur frequency f2.
I developed a spur mitigation algorithm that detects the spur and remove it by replacing it by noise.
My point is I want to differentiate the appearing signal at f2 if it is a spur or a true signal so I can stop the spur mitigation algorithm.

All the injected signals are CW.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.