Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove 3.5 mm plug tip snapped off inside socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slark

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have managed to snap the tip (see 3 on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jack_plug.png ) off a 3.5 mm plug inside the audio out socket on my MacBook. I have also managed to do the same to the on-board audio out on the motherboard on a client's desktop PC :( . Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get one or both of the little buggers out?

Study the remains with a magnifier and bright light. If there is a hollow then a piece of stout wire dipped in quick set epoxy and inserted into the hollow can be used to provide a mechanical grip on the part. If there is no hollow but just a solid stub, you can try to drill a small hole into the stub using a fine pcb drill. Let the epoxy harden for a day or 2 before tugging the remains out. Just my 2 cents.

Assuming there is nothing to grab onto, I would try using a pair of X-ACTO knifes with new blades. The idea is so use the knife blades like tweezers. Each blade is 180 degrees from the other. As you apply inward pressure, the knife blades bite into the metal and allow the tip to be pulled out. Once you get it backed out a little bit, you can grab it with pliers.

Be careful, it is easy to cut yourself if it slips.

If the "guts" have broken out from the center leaving just the tip and a shell, then you can probably thread a screw into the shell and pull it out that way.

Finally, some jacks have open backs. If you disassemble the unit, you may be able to poke it out from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back