Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to regulate the dc power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhenqiang

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Assume use a switching PSU to power a project.
If use the +5Vdc out of the psu, but the transient voltage may reach 6.7V,so how to regulate this transient voltage?

Hi,

To regulate 5V supply:
* you could use a linear voltage regulator, like 7805.

A switching PSU specified to output 5V but outputs transients to 6.7V .. in my eyes is no power supply. Buy a better one.

Just to avoid some ripples you coud use a C, an RC filter or a (damped) LC filter.

If you want us to calculate/recommend some circuit we need your supply (voltage, current) requirements
and informations about the "transients" like waveform, frequency ...

Klaus

7805,i saw this ic in wikipedia,it has a minimum input voltage above 7v,and i need more current,about 3A.

I would support the Klaus's recommendation of inserting/increase the capacitor on the load side, prefereably adding ceramic ones in parallel with electrolitics, once this would enhance the I effect if the PID control already performed by the PSU.

Some cheaper power supplies are only guaranteed to regulate if they have a minimum output load.

Try adding some power resistors at the output, which consume about 10% of the rated load, and repeat your tests. You'll be very surprised.
That would be about 300 mA.
Across 5 volt that would be 16 ohm, 2 watt resistor.

..or put a post smps on the output to get you 5v all the time near enough...eg a sepic.

Status
Not open for further replies.