Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reduce signed multiplier gate count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

design_engineer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a 17x14 signed multiplier (I use a * b) in my design which is implemented as a slow booth multiplier by the synthesis tool. However the gate count of this block is obviously very high. What ways do I have to reduce the gate count? I cannot use a serial multiplier because I do not have the clock cycles needed.

1. Does pipelining help reduce gate count? I currently use two clocks to multiply and latch the result. Can adding more cycles make the synthesizer optimize the gate counts? If so, do I add clock cycles to latch the result in more registers before finally using the result?

2. Can I break the 17x14 multiplier into two pieces (17x7) and use the same hardware block twice in two successive clocks and add the results (after applying the correct shifting). But since the operands are signed, this seems like it will not work because I am using a signed multiplier (ie., if I break the 14-bit operand into 7 bit operands (13:7), (6:0), it is possible that a '1' in bit 6 will cause the multiplication to be wrong because it will be viewed as a negative number). Any ideas on how this may be made to work?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

well let me tell u something both the ideas which u gave are related to pipelining... and In pipelining improves the performance i.e. in other words u are increasign the speed.... but as far as gate count is concerned to my knowledge shldnt be much of a difference....

both with or without pipelining the gate count wldnt make much of difference...

haneet

1. As said, pipeling generally can't be expected to reduce the resource requirement.
2. This means a partially serial multiplication and surely can reduce resource needs. You should define the acceptable degree of serialization (number of available clock cycles) first. I assume, that the signed/unsigned number representation problem can be managed somehow. Byte serial multiply is a standard method in uP arithmetic.

I heard radix8 multiplier architecture will reduce gate count . I have seen this architecture is used in RTLCompiler 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back