Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to recover my window 2000 partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengboy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I used PartitonMagic8.0 to install Linux 7.3. However after the linux installation, I could not boot to my windows2000 anymore. the old partiton became OS/2 Boot manager. because of my fault,I destroyed the rescue disk created by the PartitionMagic. Is there any way to recover my window partition? Thanks a lot.

wow win2000 is NTFS, right? i didn't know PM could do that..

What happens - the multi-boot dies on "chainloader+1"? Are you using two drives, or just two partitions? If you can boot to Linux OK then you can try to fix your /etc/grub.conf file..

To use WinXP (Also NTFS) I had to map one drive onto the other with
map hd(1,0) hd(0,0)
map hd(0,0) hd(1,0)
rootnoverify hd(1,0)
chainloader +1

then chainloader worked. To do it on two partitions of the same drive i think would be
map hd(0,1) hd(0,0)
map hd(0,0) hd(0,1)
rootnoverify hd(0,1)
chainloader +1

lemme know if it works - those commands may be incorrect but that is how to boot an NTFS drive - chainloader can't read NTFS in mid-stream, you have to trick it into booting Win altogether

Status
Not open for further replies.