Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to read the GSM location in a vehicle without using GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg29

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me how to read the location , city? or TOWER NAME? of where the gsm is located actually i have to use this in vehicle location . i know i can use GPS but i can't use it.

With best regards,
Garg

command at gsm location

Greetings

First.... what gsm module/phone are you using in your learning process?
Second.... READ (not-optional) its AT-COMMAND manual
third... try the commands specific of your gsm module/phone. The commands are not equal for all gsm modems; there're some difference between models. For this, you must connect the gsm module/phone to your pc, how? it depends on your gsm module/phone model.

Best Regards... and good luck

at+ceng=2,1 in gsm

Location?

at command for gsm finding location

hi garg, how are you doing? i'm currently working on a project to send and receive sms too and i'm dealing with some trouble in the early stage.. i learnt that you've already had a connection between the microcontroller and the modem and its working in the sending part...

i'm currently using a pic16f873a communicating with a wavecom modem too and i'm using c language too... i'm trying to see the modem response and display on the LCD after sending AT to the modem which displays OK. its not working and i guess it might be some problem on the hardware, or maybe the software...

i'll be gladly to hear from you soon and could i have your schematic for the interfacing of the PIC and the modem? i'm actually learning right now and if the response succeeds, i'll progress to the sending and receiving part too... thanks in advance...
sorry for my lack of knowledge...

keane

gsm locate 2

receiving SMS is different from reading SMS from the phone
to read use AT+CMGR = 1 (message index to read), some modems have PDU as default message format, use AT+CMGF=1 to set to text mode
while in receiving SMS you need to set the parameters of the AT+CNMI

at+ceng cellid

I think the information you want to extract is the cellID information where the mobile is currently camped onto. I have no idea if this info is available via AT commands but there are phone applications (specially with the Nokia phones) that uses this info to build a database and map the cellID.

gsm location by sms

i think thats not possible in many ways ..... u cant replace gps module by this technique

gsm command ceng

The AT command I've used on a SIMCOM device is

AT+CENG=2,1

This command will have the GSM device send tower/cell info every few seconds. There are other modes that will only have the information transmitted when a call is active.

What will be received back from the GSM device is a series of strings that are numbered from 0-6. #0 corresponds to the serving cell. #1-6 corresponding to neighboring cells. There is a two byte hex string that is a cell ID. Other parts of the string correspond to carrier frequency, signal strength, etc.

Now, the tricky part is how to use the cell ID's that you receive to figure out approximate location. For that, you need access to a database, I know there are services here in the US that have databases of all cell ID's and they provide access to their databases for a fee. What you do is contact their server with the cell ID info and they send back a location. Remember, the location will be quite inaccurate (~250 m best case).

gsm location

Thanks rex_llama. I'll try out this & soon get back to you.

Regards.

dbm at^moni

hI
I suggest you to use a GMS module TELIT GM862 he have a extended AT command set.
AT#MONI gives u cell monitor info
another command is
AT#SERVINFO
#SERVINFO: <B-ARFCN>,<dBM>,<NetNameAsc>,<NetCode>,
,<BSIC>,<LAC>,<TA>,<GPRS>[,[<PB-ARFCN>],[<NOM>],
<RAC>,[PAT]]

GSM Location

hi i hv an at command for cell id, but the problem is that it returns me the hex code for cell id which is meaning less. can u tell me a way through which v can get cell id in string format.
cell id in hex is
at+cgreg=2
at+cgreg?
this will giv u <location> <cell id>

its urgent..please somebody help me

hello..i m a final year student of BS and i m working on my final year project. i want some guidance as i am using mobile phone as a gsm modem which is SIEMENS A60. i am communicating through AT commands.
my question is, can anyone please tell me that how can i get to know that the operating frequency on which modem is working. i mean the BTS is working.?. if itz not possible so any other method to get it.
thank you.

Re: GSM Location

one way could be that u use pll that operate at different freqs and when it matches with the freq of BTS it give 0 output. tel me if u got it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back