Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to read the current value of the MHz circuit branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

no4baseman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i test a power amplifier which operates at 10MHz, and i wanna read the current value of a branch, but i don't have any instrument except a multimeter. Then,the branch exists inductance.

i wanna know whether the multimeter is in series with the branch, whose current is about several amps, is feasible .

Or a small resistor, for example 1 ohm, is in series with the branch, and i read the voltage of the resistor. is the method feasible?

Thank you first!

A typical multimeter won't respond to 10 MHz. It will probably read very low or zero.

A good solution is to use an oscilloscope with a current probe as artem suggested. If you don't need to measure DC current, you could use a wideband current monitor instead of a current probe. Here are some nice ones. They cost several hundred US dollars.
**broken link removed**

Crazy idea - If you are in Antarctica or someplace where you can't get an RF power meter, oscilloscope, or anything that measures 10 MHz, maybe you could compare the temperature of the 1-ohm series resistor to another identical resistor heated by a DC power supply. Be sure to use a non-inductive resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.