Status
Not open for further replies.

no4baseman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i test a power amplifier which operates at 10MHz, and i wanna read the current value of a branch, but i don't have any instrument except a multimeter. Then,the branch exists inductance.

i wanna know whether the multimeter is in series with the branch, whose current is about several amps, is feasible .

Or a small resistor, for example 1 ohm, is in series with the branch, and i read the voltage of the resistor. is the method feasible?

Thank you first!

A typical multimeter won't respond to 10 MHz. It will probably read very low or zero.

A good solution is to use an oscilloscope with a current probe as artem suggested. If you don't need to measure DC current, you could use a wideband current monitor instead of a current probe. Here are some nice ones. They cost several hundred US dollars.
**broken link removed**

Crazy idea - If you are in Antarctica or someplace where you can't get an RF power meter, oscilloscope, or anything that measures 10 MHz, maybe you could compare the temperature of the 1-ohm series resistor to another identical resistor heated by a DC power supply. Be sure to use a non-inductive resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.