How to re-install Windows XP if you have two other systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

husseinadel

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
re-install

AA

i want to re-install my windows xp,,,,the pb is that i have windows 2000 server on drive C, windows XP on drive d,and linux fedora core3,,, i want just to er-install the XP,,but the others still installed,,,,is there any problem in that or i must do something other than usual?!!!! note that i have very bad ground with linux

thanks

Re: re-install

WA,
u should copy the boot.ini file , re-install the XP , then recopy the boot.ini, now u should have both XP and 2000 server working , u will have to reinstall GRUB loader ,to do so follow the following:-
1- boot using CD1 of FC3.
2- dont enter graphical mode but instead enter the following command linux rescue
3-enter the following : chroot /mnt/sysimage
4-enter the following : grub-install /dev/hda --note i assumed that ur disk which u want to boot 4m is hda , u should change it according to ur disk "can be hdc in case of two disks , i think hdb is for the CDROM"
5- enter : exit >>>or just restart

notes: 1-u should copy the boot.ini file to/from the partition u are booting from,"C" (if u have one HDD) , this should also be done with grub as hda should normally
"but i am not sure" ur booting partition , this may change in both cases if u have another HDD.
2- if u have one HDD , i think u may skip the boot.ini step as u wont need to format the MBR on C , as ur XP is one D, so just format D from server2000 re-install XP, and both the new XP and server 2000 should be working fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.