Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect AVR EEPROM from electric spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ex4

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
avr eeprom

i got error in the avr internal eeprom when a voltage spikes hit my avr. anybody got idea how to protect it??? :cry::cry:

avr brown out protection eeprom

Why don't you use a built-in Brown-Out-Detector (BOD)?
A year ago I got a destruction of Flash in AVR. It was caused by spikes in power - the program counter pointed to a random address and AVR started to fulfill wrong instructions. I suspect you met the same problem.

avr eeprom error

i've done that, & it works nice
but is there any other ways?? since i write my eeprom on its 16 bytes lower address
& from other forum, i got people who got the same problem, bcos he's writing the 16 bytes lower address. a bug maybe in vr:?::?::?::?: :D:D

avr eeprom brownout

in some erratas i had seen problem about writing to eeprom low(est) addresses?
Check relevant errata for your chip on atmel site.

For BOD remember that it consume power due to internal bandgap ON when BOD is active .
This issue is critical to micropower applications .

avr internal eeprom dont use

Hi, Ex4.
Try also to take the power through a 100uH coil, and also use two bidirectional transils.
P6Kxxx is some example, just choose the right voltage. Sometimes you get problems also when you command a coil... Try Using good enogh ground connection, in order to avoid difference of potential between the AVR and the others elements (outputs) of your circuit.

Regards,

L.E. - they are also called as suppressors diodes - P6KE6,8 - BZW06-15. Check ST site. Good luck!

avr bod

Tornado said:
Hi Ex4, in cellphones we use ESD diodes, they come in various clamp voltages,
check this link as a start.

h**p://www.vishay.com/diodes/protection-tvs-esd/

Tornado

What is the mess with ESD diodes? The problem is not in ESD protection. Even if you protect Reset pin of AVR, it will not help. Because the problem is in a surge voltage on power pins of AVR.

Dear EX4. If I were you, I would try to find a source of this induced voltage:
turn off power switches that can cause large currents; define the moment then spikes appear; check if your board has enough ceramic capacitors, etc.
Of course, if some voltage difference exists relatively to other boards, nothing will work.
Coils and inductors are very useful things, but they also will not help if power voltage doesn't grow monotonically during start-up. Check this too, please.

Regards, YUV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back