Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to properly do AC open loop LDO simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutek

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

could you tell me how to do AC open loop LDO simulation properly?

how the inputs should be polarized when i open the loop to pass device give me the current i want to

when i do transient and op analyses, everything is ok. vref is connected to - and output voltage through feedback divider to +.

i want the AC simulation to be adequate TRANSIENT simulation, to be sure how gain, UGF and pole/zero position influence transient response

thanks in advance

regards

ldo ac simulation

jutek said:
hello

could you tell me how to do AC open loop LDO simulation properly?

how the inputs should be polarized when i open the loop to pass device give me the current i want to

when i do transient and op analyses, everything is ok. vref is connected to - and output voltage through feedback divider to +.

i want the AC simulation to be adequate TRANSIENT simulation, to be sure how gain, UGF and pole/zero position influence transient response

thanks in advance

regards

Hi ,
In the attached pdf go to AC analysis ( page 17, Chapter 2). It clearly explains where the loop must be broken in order to do ac analysis.

Attachments

• ldo_book_140.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 813

ac response ldo

hello

yes, i have this book, and i exactly break the loop in this place. but what should be connected to - after breaking? if i use only AC=0.1 and no DC value the result is not good cause opamp is not polarized well

ldo simulation setup to characterize the design

jutek said:
hello

yes, i have this book, and i exactly break the loop in this place. but what should be connected to - after breaking? if i use only AC=0.1 and no DC value the result is not good cause opamp is not polarized well

Add large R&C in your feedback path,you can build up the DC point and break the AC feedback path.

Reactions: #oz

#oz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ldo ac analysis

add a dc offset voltage at the input pin,
exmple:vin in 0 dc 1.25 ac 1

break loop pole/zero hspice

add a dc offset voltage at the input pin,
exmple:vin in 0 dc 1.25 ac 1

Yes, remerber to add a dc voltage.
The dc voltage would make the DC operation point accurate.

ldo simulation setup

in hspice there is a resistance that when dc the value is zero, but when ac, it is open. Can we just use the thing?

ldo current profiles

add a ac resister(dc=0.001Ohm, ac=1000,000kOhm) between the two break point;
feed ac signal in though a 1F capacitor;

Added after 8 minutes:

also, please aware the loading on the open loop output point,
it should have the same loading with which in close loop.

ac analysis of ldo

I also confused it, sometimes, I use the AC source with ac=1V to break the loop.

sometime, I use the resistor with AC=1G , and a cap=1F . and sometime, I use

the ind=1G and a cap =1F.

the only diff thing I thought is the phase of it different. But offten, the gain plot is

also diff.

So, I use the method mostly equal what I think it should be.

how to do ac analysis of ldo

another way is add a large inductor on you feedback path, and a capacitor connect to ground from opamp side. this may help you to do AC simulation.

ac anslysis of ldo

alenhan said:
another way is add a large inductor on you feedback path, and a capacitor connect to ground from opamp side. this may help you to do AC simulation.

this maybe a good idea!
but it could make some other problem. when I connect a capacitor (c=10p) parallelled with resistor R3, it should bring a pole and a zero. But because the large capacitor(c=1KF) connected in the input so by hspice simulation the capacitor parallelled with the resistor R3 will not take some effect!

30_1169454991.GIF

ads simulation ldo

another way is to use two LDOs , one closed loop and the other is open loop , then use the closed loop LDO to get the DC for the open loop LDO.

ldo simulations

1/(C_OL*L_OL)^0.5 must be less than simulation min. frequency.

ldo openloop simulation

hi mark_nctu!
Why 1/(C_OL*L_OL)^0.5 must be less than simulation min. freq? Can you explain it for me?
Thanks.

ldo spice simulation

Can I use the resistor instead of the inductor for AC simulation.

coolroyy

myblues said:
alenhan said:

this maybe a good idea!
but it could make some other problem. when I connect a capacitor (c=10p) parallelled with resistor R3, it should bring a pole and a zero. But because the large capacitor(c=1KF) connected in the input so by hspice simulation the capacitor parallelled with the resistor R3 will not take some effect!

30_1169454991.GIF

pls check the ac response in the VDIV

Added after 1 minutes:

gavinchiu said:
Can I use the resistor instead of the inductor for AC simulation.

Yes,but the res must very large

LDO AC simulaton

You can break the loop using L (1G) and C(1F) values. AC signal can pass through the capacitor and inductor allows DC value and breaks the loop

Re: LDO AC simulaton

Please find the attach document for more clarification

Attachments

• f4_3269.pdf
    149.2 KB · Views: 296

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
LDO AC simulaton

really good one,i just need this,support!

Re: LDO AC simulaton

i would like to ask how to get this book by free of charge

Status
Not open for further replies.