Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to program ROM Chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndiJones

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could anyone please provide any information on that! Thanks in advance!

Hi IndiJones,

A ROM device cannot be programmed by a user. Such devices are mask-programmed by the manufacturer and you have to buy a large amount of them (>10k..100k). In this case you have to send the manufacturer a HEX-file with the content you wish to have inside your ROM.
But perhaps you mean PROM/EPROM/FLASH devices? These ones can be programmed by the user using different kind of chip-programmers.

Bye

You don't HAVE to buy a large amount.

Masking charges are typically US$3000 to US$5000 and includes about 50 samples.

Sorry! I was talking about EEPROM :)

Hi IndiJones,

which EEPROM do yu want to program? Is it a 'real' EEPROM (byte-eraseable) or is it a FLASH? If you have a suggested type or application this could help.

Bye

Well I don't have anything specific in mind. I would like to know how these are programmed cause I may have to work on these things in the near future :(

don't need to worry a lot u have burners for that with corresponding software. u can view the hex code on the software and then u can program the ROM. secondly the ROM will be attached to some device say an intel or motorola processor. if u are writing code for that then pass the code through corresponding assembler or compiler creating hex file. this will be then loaded/ programmed in the ROM the software used by the burner/programmer, only u will have to load the hex file

Look here for example:
**broken link removed**

I think you will understand things better afterwards.

best regards

Hi IndiJones

I think you'd like to program these devices inside your circuit i.e. from a microcontroller. If this is the case, I'd look to use FLASH devices, because most of them don't need a special program timing like EPROM's do. A FLASH device can be accessed (for programming) as a simple memory. There also exist FLASH devices which won't need a higher programming voltage (look at AMD 29Fxxx family or 29LVxxx). To program a FLASH you have to write to special registers inside the chip. Look at the datasheet, you will also find flowcharts. Most manufacturers also offers assembly or C-code at their homepage which does the programming.

Bye

hi mr_ghz.

do you know if there is a cheap programmer for 29lv of tsop56? i have here 2 flashes and i need to program it but in order to buy a expensive programmer for only 2 flashes is not worth the effort!

tks

yeah i know that! that is willem! but only problem in that only able to program tsop48 and not tsop56!

this is major problem because i need somehitng for tsop56!!

It depend on what chip are you using. Most programmer support popular chip with a DIp socket. with other packaged you need a adapter. If you like a programmer but it doesn't sopport your chip, send them a chip and a spec sheet, they will be happy to develop the library for you. I used Xeltec programmer 10 years ago and they are very supportive
https://www.xeltek.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back