Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to practice with Hardware debugging (PIC & PIC KIT3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djsarkar

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have PIC18F45K80 and PIC kit 3. I am using MPLABX 5.40 and XC8 2.30

I want to understand what's the hardware debugging? What's the role of PIC kit 3 in hardware debugging?

how to practice with Hardware debugging

The PK3 talks to the onchip HW debugging logic. Think of it as a bridge
to the IDE where you can set breakpoints, examine memory, follow pro-
gram flow, etc...

By the way looks like they are not supporting it anymore, mainly affects
your design access to new devices.

Regards, Dana.

Hardware debugging means that you load the software from MPLAB to the real chip with PicKit3 and you test it in real life. You can use breakpoints watches of variables or others. You can connect LEDs to your processor and debug will the LEDs turn on when you turn then on in the software. The break point must always be 1 line after the line you want to test.

The PK3 talks to the onchip HW debugging logic. Think of it as a bridge
to the IDE where you can set breakpoints, examine memory, follow pro-
gram flow, etc...

By the way looks like they are not supporting it anymore, mainly affects
your design access to new devices.

Regards, Dana.
1. Do I have all the accessories available to debug hardware ?
2. Can PIC KIT 3 debug MCU PIC18F45k80 ?

Hardware debugging means that you load the software from MPLAB to the real chip with PicKit3 and you test it in real life. You can use breakpoints watches of variables or others. You can connect LEDs to your processor and debug will the LEDs turn on when you turn then on in the software. The break point must always be 1 line after the line you want to test.
Please recommend me link I have written code already

I would advise you contact the local Microchip FAE (Field Applications Engineer).
I looked over web, now the device environment is recommended with PICKIT 4, and
I see threads where folks are having problems using PICKIT 3 with PIC18F45K80 and
the latest MPLAB environment.

Quick question, is MPLAB and the programmer recognizing the PICKIT 3 and the
PIC18F45K80 when you go to connect ? Thats the first positive step in using these
low cost debuggers as it tells you the PICKIT3 has the requisite basic firmware to
recognize the device.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back