Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to monitor the power level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Power monitoring how-to?

Hi,

In my project I have to monitoring 230V AC if it is disappear or it is at low level. Could any expert please give same tips? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
ltg

power monitoring

If you need only to know when power is lost then you can monitor it using an opto-coupler (4N25) connected to the mains (use a large value resistor in series). If you need to know the amplitude then the better way is reading it through a small transformer.

The cheapest and most easiest must be a bridge rectifier and a potential divider/comparator. A LM358 will be very cheap and you can run it from the rectified mains (within its supply limits). Configure it as a window comparator and you will be able to tell if it is hi or low.

Regards

Bagster :p

I think using LM358 directly would mean a series resistor to drop the 230V to a smaller voltage. This series resistor would be quite dissipative. I would actually suggest using a small transformer and then monitoring the secondary of the transformer.
Gopal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back