Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to model analog input for ADC in digital simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wy21century

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want to model a ADC in verilog and use it in digital simulation. My purpose is to make this behavior the same interface as the true analog one and use it in a digital SOC environment. Write some testbench to test its connection.

My problem is how to model the analog input because it is one bit width signal, how do I model the different input voltage level and convert it to a multi-bits digital output?
Can anyone with this experience help me?

dude,
Your signle 'analog' type pin will somewhere be converted into multibit value inside your design. Its that multibit value point, that you will need to model.
I had done this before. Wot I did was, I wrote all the values of voltage/current values in a text file as 'float/real' values. Then I wrote a simle model in vhdl, which will read this text file, at a rate which is equal to your sample frequency, and then used this 'real' type value inside my design.
Hope it helps,
kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Good idea!

That is for VHDL. Unfortunately, we don't have similar way in verilog. So currently I am doing is using PWM code to simulate the analog input. We all know that PWM code is able to describe a multi level value by using different pulse width. Obviously, I wrote the behavior which can decode PWM as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back