Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to model 2 concurrent processes in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbyeoh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to code a system in behavioral verilog that has 2 processes running concurrently. One is a serial input buffer that continuously monitors the input line for valid data (let's call this process A). The other is a process that kicks off when valid data is detected and passed to it. It then crunches the newly detected input and spits out the output. While this is happening, process A continues monitoring the input line for valid data. Any suggestions on how to model this behavior and its handshaking signals in verilog? Thanks in advance.
-Fabian

My answer can be you can write two concurrent process A and B.

I have few questions:
1. When do you can valid data for Process A.
2. When does process B should start processing data.

This is real easy to do using a mailbox if you can use SystemVerilog. (supported by any version of Modelsim). Process A does a mbox.put(valid_data) when it gets valid data. Process B does a mbox.get(data) and is blocked until the other process does a put.

If you can only use Verilog, then we need to know how time is consumed by each process. How long can B take to crunch on the input before sending an output. Can valid input come faster than it takes to crunch it (i.e. do you need many concurrent B processes?

This is real easy to do using a mailbox if you can use SystemVerilog. (supported by any version of Modelsim). Process A does a mbox.put(valid_data) when it gets valid data. Process B does a mbox.get(data) and is blocked until the other process does a put.

If you can only use Verilog, then we need to know how time is consumed by each process. How long can B take to crunch on the input before sending an output. Can valid input come faster than it takes to crunch it (i.e. do you need many concurrent B processes?

Thanks for the reply.
Process B(processing) is assumed to be much faster than A(receive data). Reason being that process B runs on a data clk which is much slower than the system clk that A runs on.

- - - Updated - - -

A valid data word is indicated by another signal, transmit_start.
B should start processing whenever a word is completely received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back