Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to minimize vias in PowerPCB/Blazeroute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIF

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,
I am using PowerPCB 5.0&BlazeRoute and i want to minimize number of vias in my board,how can i do that in PowerPCB 5.0&BlazeRoute??

The best way has always been the same way.
Route by hand ( no auto-router :)
It is slow but best.

Hi Beepster,
yes, you are right, but i found in the help of the PowerPCB/BlazeRouter keyword"Intensity"and the following statments are written in the software help:

Intensity is a value assigned to objects such as vias to weigh decisions made during the autorouting process in BlazeRouter. The higher the intensity, the less the item is used. For example, set a high intensity for via usage to minimize the amount of vias added to the design.
So,have an idea where can i find this feature instead of manual Routing?

For purely digital boards, one may use the autorouter, but if analogue is involved, autorouter will create a mess.

If you cannot find the intensity parameter, you can try to manually laying it out using Pads V4.

Jif, No I don't. This may not be an accessible feature at this point. The Spectra-router has a feature to set limits on total vias and limits on vias/net. I have done many complex boards and in the last 2-years I have not turned on a autorouter. The last board was 8-layers, a 876ball-BGA. I achieved 1/3 the vias of a good autorouter. It takes practice and a good strategy.

Oh,good point Beepster,actually i did some complex routing befor but i didn't even use manual routing bcz it consume time,but i prefer manual routing in special cases that routeres dosn't satisfy.Anyway i will try to do it manually,also could you please give me some hints help me to improve my skills in manual routing?
i will be appreciate that Beepster for you.
Thanks friend
JIF

Jif, Look for pattens of busses. If general purpose i/o then do swapps to prevent crossovers. Don't simply do (layer 2 = veritcal / layer 3 horzonal) but large S-patterns are very usefull. Place components so these paterns can be used. (It takes a lot of time to see these paterns) I will just look at the board for hours sometimes, selecting busses/ groups to find the flow of the design. :)

Blaze router tools-->options, in stratergy tab,u can define the intensity value, the lower the value set, the faster the routing.Higher settings result in slower routing, fewer vias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back