Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure time domain delay in Advanced Design ssytem (ADS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I simulated a circuit with ADS and I am trying to measure the time delay between input and output of my circuit, but I failed !!
I used Eq wizard and defined the equation as "y=delay_path(in,out)" in the results window, but upon donig simulation, it does not show any value !!
Could anybody let me know how can I measure this delay?

Thanks and Regards,

The delay_path() function is for Circuit Envelope simulation to compute the delay of a modulation envelope for a signal path. It will not work for a regular Transient (Time Domain) Simulation.

For that the best approach would be to use Delta Markers instead of equations and that would show the time delay (of independant value) through a network between two markers on the input and output voltage waveforms. Although an equation calculating the difference between two regular (not Delta) markers (indep(MOut) - indep(MIn)) would give the same results also.

The delay_path() function is for Circuit Envelope simulation to compute the delay of a modulation envelope for a signal path. It will not work for a regular Transient (Time Domain) Simulation.

For that the best approach would be to use Delta Markers instead of equations and that would show the time delay (of independant value) through a network between two markers on the input and output voltage waveforms. Although an equation calculating the difference between two regular (not Delta) markers (indep(MOut) - indep(MIn)) would give the same results also.

Hello RealALE,

I tried those approaches that you suggested. Ubfortunately, in my output window, the Deltar Markers are 'off' and I could not activate them. Also, utilizing the indep command returns 0 value for all the times and I could not measure delay between input and output signal !!
Could you please assist??

Thanks and Regards,

When you place a new marker by default the Delta Mode is not set. Double-click on the second marker to edit the marker properties and set the Marker Mode to Delta and make sure that the first marker is set as the Reference Marker. Once this is set the independant variable Delta value should show the delay.

When you place a new marker by default the Delta Mode is not set. Double-click on the second marker to edit the marker properties and set the Marker Mode to Delta and make sure that the first marker is set as the Reference Marker. Once this is set the independant variable Delta value should show the delay.

Thanks RealALE,

It shows the delay, but, as you see in the attached figure, my VCC = 2.5 V and I would like to measure delay at %50 of VCC (Vcc/2 = 1.25 V). I tried to move the markers to that point, but it seems that they are solid and do not move easily. Is there any way to put them at VCC/2 point??

Thanks and Regards,

Attachments

• ADS.png
    ADS.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 132

Markers can only be placed on actual simulation points of the independant variable. If you want more resolution in the time domain in this case you will need to reduce that MaxTimeStep setting for the transient controller. This will provide small time steps but will increase the simulation time.

Also when you have a marker selected you can use the left/right arrow keys on the keyboard to step to adjacent points for more precise placement if desired so you don't need to drag the marker to reposition it.

Last edited:

Markers can only be placed on actual simulation points of the independant variable. If you want more resolution in the time domain in this case you will need to reduce that MaxTimeStep setting for the transient controller. This will provide small time steps but will increase the simulation time.

Also when you have a marker selected you can use the left/right arrow keys on the keyboard to step to adjacent points for more precise placement if desired so you don't need to drag the marker to reposition it.

Dear RealALE,

Again, it does not work !!
Could you please tell me an equation that can calculate the low-to-high and high-to-low delay between input(in) and output(io) signals which were shown in the former attached file?? It's boring to play with the markers....!

Thanks and Regards,

You will never be able to resolve abrupt edges as you illustrate. There has to be some finite rise/fall time to then be able to fit sufficient simulation time steps to that transition to extract suitable marker points. In this example I have 500 psec rise time and 1 psec set as the MaxTimeStep. Also using a delay of the step source to move the edge away from time = 0 nsec.

transient.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back