Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure the framerate per second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go.beavs

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys, I am using an FPGA to calculate an algorithm for a depth map. I am expecting to provide at least 20 fps, and I am not sure how to measure that. Can u please help ?

Re: framerate per second

Generally video frame rate in many cases is 60Hz for PC or monitors.....so if you are providing the video output from your PC VGA port then you need to VGA decoder chip prorier to FPGA.....
ADV7403 is a good video decoder....you can measure the V synch output frequency of the video decoder will give you the frame rate....

Good Luck

Hi go.beavs,

For measuring the frame rate you need to find the VSYNC frequency, in order to find that you can just make a VSYNC counter signal, which means just assign '1' and '0' alternately to a signal for each VSYNC came. and just assign that signal as an output port and measure the frequency of that signal using a CRO, so you will get the frequency, the n the frame rate will be double of the measured value in the CRO...

for example

the code will be like this.

vsync_freq : out std_logic;

signal vsync_cnt : std_logic := '0';

process(vsync, reset)
begin
if (reset = hi) then
vsync_cnt <= '0';
elsif (rising_edge(vsync)) then
vsync_cnt = not(vsync_cnt);
end if;
end process;
vsync_freq <= vsync_cnt;

Also can you say which algorithm you are using for calculating the depth map of an image....

Because i am also looking for calculating the depth map of an image in order to convert the 2d image/video into 3d image/video

I am using the Sum of Absolute Differences (SAD) algorithm which i found is very accurate than others.

hey imbichie,
Are you using some sort of USB connection to send data through the USB port to an FPGA. For instance check the connection and send data from the FPGA to an interface ?

Hi go.beavs,

Thank you for your information...

Are you using some sort of USB connection to send data through the USB port to an FPGA. For instance check the connection and send data from the FPGA to an interface ?

I am not using any USB connection in my design... I am loading the images in to the memory is via a camera....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back